Screen flickers during or after high CPU usage (laptop)

Windbrand

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Hi,

I'm running into an issue with constant screen flickering on my Lenovo IdeaPad laptop in the form of horizontal bars sliding up, during or shortly after high CPU usage (while cooling), such as playing games. The flickering is not so severe that contents aren't visible anymore, but it's really annoying and tires out the eyes, I think it has about 10-20% opacity. This only started happening about 2 weeks ago, never had this issue before.

Tried:

- Disabling Windows error reporting + problem reporting service in msconfig
- Restart computer
- Resetting Nvidia global settings to default in Nvidia control panel
- Checking for display drive updates in device manager (all up to date)
- Checking monitor refresh rate (60Hz, can't be changed)
- If I random move the laptop around, or gently press on the edges of the screen, the flickering lines MAY weaken, but after a while comes back again
- Screenshots taken do not show flickering lines. Connecting to another monitor won't have flickering so it's a problem with my laptop screen
- Setting max CPU usage to 99% in power options
- CPU/GPU prefer maximum performance

So I'm pretty certain it's not software-related. Though because I'm not really familiar with laptop hardware I didn't attempt to unscrew the screen yet.

Because the flickering rarely shows up if my laptop is idle during low CPU usage, I don't think it's actually a broken screen, so I'm guessing it's some interference with the cable connecting screen with motherboard? Or something is loose?

Thanks.