1080p looks worse then it did before after upgrading to 1440p

dauransx1

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
I upgraded from a 60hz 1080p ASUS to a ROG Swift isp 1440p 165hz g-sync and im now using the 1080p as a 2nd monitor but i can see that the 1080p monitor looks worse then it did before, like all pixeled (not blurry). I use to look at this monitor and said how good it looked and how sharp and smooth it looked and i dont think after using the 1440p one for an hour would show me the truth about 1080p. I can look at the 1080p screen pixels and see they are much smaller then the jaggy lines i see now. I know this because of my wallpaper (but not only) i know well and been using for over a year and i never seen the lines and curves look so bad till now. I have not tried to run only the 1080p without the 1440p to see because im unsure if that will let me know and or change any settings i did on the 1440p that took me a few hours to tweak.

I got all the right settings with the latest nvidia drivers
ASUS 1080p is set to 1080p/60hz, HDMI cable used
Swift Rog is set to 1440p/165hz g-sync on, displayport cable used
1440p and 1080p screens is set to 100% in windows but if the 1440p is set to 125% it looks funny, letters look odd, like blurry and the color looks off if the letters are colored.

GTX1080ti and win10

So if you use a web browser on the 1920 x 1080 monitor does it still look bad?

I can see the wallpaper being stretched since you now have a larger resolution screen in the mix(I do not remember seeing anything strange when running a 2560 x 1440 at the same time).

Another thing to look at is if you have any kind of overscan on, that could make stuff look bad. Normally this is an option on the monitor, but it may be an option in your video card control panel as well(I know on AMD you have to use it, but with Nvidia I do not remember having to set it). This happens because HDMI is used on HD TV's and some of them had overscan(and some video cards may attempt to underscan).

If you get some issues with scaling it could be the software in use. Not all software written for Windows scales well. When it does not thinks look blurry. This is a downside of allowing so much backwards compatibility(but it does keep users on Windows since lots of much older software is still functional).

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Sounds like a Windows 10 scaling issue to me, right click on your desktop, select display settings and make sure the slider is at 100%

I use a 1440 & 1080 screen and both look fine with scaling set to 100%

dauransx1

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
Both are at 100%.

dauransx1

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
The wallpaper is 1080p and its duped on both screens. webpages look as bad, its like its using 4 pixels to make 1 image/color rather then 1 pixel like it should. My pc is basic settings (default) i dont mess with anything and all i did was plug this new monitor in, turned on 165hz and g-sync and messed with settings on the 1440p monitor. The 1080p monitor was never touched.

Maybe i was blinded by how bad 1080p looked and the 1440p ruined what i know about 1080p and now i thought how good it looked? the same image looks fine on the 1440p

On most 1920 x 1080 screens you can see the pixels(made of 3 sub pixels). If you open paint and make a single pixel dot, does it fill on pixel or does it fill more.

If you take a screenshot(Start + Print Screen will save it to your pictures - > Screenshots folder) does it look better on the other monitor.

It sounds very strange. I have used many different resolutions and they never made the old one look THAT bad. 144hz on the other hand will spoil you pretty quick(60hz will feel so much less responsive on some games).

dauransx1

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
See, the image im speaking of, it has a small text, i use to read it before this upgrade and now i cant, i cant even make it out.
Also, you know when you go to the nvidia settings and the top setting "adjust image settings with preview" and the "performance" pic how jagged it looks? thats how it looks and its not set to that.

I think ill try to reboot without the 1440p and see later