Can't enable 4th monitor

nihildriven

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
AMD R9-280 GPU. Previously had four monitors connected - 3x 1080p 21" monitors by DVI-D, DVI-D and DP via active DVI-D adapter. 1x 32" 720p TV via HDMI.

I moved, and suddenly I can't enable the TV and 3x monitors simultaneously. This irks me. Suggestions?

norimacek

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Have you used the same cables (outputs/inputs) on the same monitors/tv?

I had amd hd6870 which supported five 24" displays but only when I used DVI-D, HDMI and 3 mini-DP outputs in exactly one configuration, If I used DVI-D on one particular monitor, 5 display config worked, If i used DP on it, it didn't. No logical explanation as it had DVI-D, DP and HDMI inputs and they all worked in single configuration, but not with 5 displays.

I've learned that multi monitor display setups beyond 3 screens, can be tricky, when using only one GPU. It's easier to buy 2 low power GPUs like GTX 1050/ti or RX 550/560 to avoid troubles. Or you could go with Maxtor/Quadro/FirePro line, but they are rip-offs if you ask me (except if you need their video editing capabilities).

nihildriven

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I don't (and at this point can't) know. The three monitors are all the exact same model. It is possible that the active DVI-D adapter moved to a different monitor among them - though it would still be on the same make/model. Otherwise the configuration is the same. I am hoping to avoid purchasing new hardware - the thought of spending more money on this is aggravating especially given that it worked fine just last week with the current equipment and (effectively) the same setup.

norimacek

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Why don't you try all possible cable combinations? If it has worked before, I see no reason why it wouldn't now.