No 144hz on BENQ ZOWIE XL2411

liTtle_3

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
I have a 1080Ti and I am using this dvi-d to display port adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SUO1GM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and when I open up nvidia control panel and try to change it to 144hz it only shows 60hz. I think it has something to do with the monitor and nvidia control panel thinking it is an hdmi cable (when I turn on the monitor it shows the Zowie logo with "HDMI" in the bottom left corner and when I open nvidia control panel it says it is a hdmi cable.)

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Solution
Last resort, as the guide states, is to get a TRUE DisplayPort-to-Dual Link-DVI active adapter.

You can try the same manufacturer you linked (StarTech) but choose the "Style: DVI (Dual)" (https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00A493CNY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500921305&sr=1-1&keywords=displayport+to+dvi+dual-link). It's very expensive though, and based on reviews of verified purchases in amazon for that product, some got it to work at 144Hz, while some also did not. So, it's not a guarantee it will work.

If such adapter doesn't appeal to you, then, sadly, only choice to get that 144Hz you really want is either changing the monitor (one that supports 144Hz...
Ok. But if the adpaters max res is 1200p, it's likely 1200p at 60hz. 1080p @ 144hz requires almost double the bandwidth. So it's very likely the adapter.

Have you tried a newer HDMI cable? I'm not super sure but I think hdmi should have enough bandwidth now.

The adapter you linked (despite saying "active") is a hit-and-miss on 144Hz monitors (some got it to work on certain monitors), and it may really be just a passive adapter (or an "active adapter with single-link DVI") based on some of the reviewers who purchased:

"Great PASSIVE Adapter - Requires a ++DP Port By wbesack on October 27, 2015
Great Adapter. Be aware that this is a PASSIVE adapter. To use this, your device will need to have a dual-mode displayport. Your port MUST be labeled with a "++DP". If you do not see the "++", it is not dual-mode. If you only see "DP", you need an active adapter, which will be a little more expensive.
"

"Yep, it just works By brainout on November 22, 2012
EDIT, 3/22/14: I just noticed that the instructions say the signal is only passed through passively, and only on DP++ ports. Well, my Dell Optiplex is only DP, and passes the video just fine. I frequently watch videos in Prime online here at Amazon, and have no problems, using the same Optiplex 780, as in the original review, following below.
"

"Doesn't work for Eyefinity By joshua on February 6, 2013
I bought this to hook up a third monitor for Eyefinity, but I didn't do enough research. This is a passive adapter, it will not work for Eyefinity, although worked fine if you just want to hook up a monitor for normal display. You need an Active adapter for Eyefinity.
"

For additional information, you also might want to read through this (Guide to Display Cables / Adapters (v2)): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=120Hz_displays

Here are some excerpts (emphasis, related to your situation, supplied):

"Which connections can support 120+ Hz?

In order of preference:

At 1920×1080 (2K):
DisplayPort (any version)
Dual-Link DVI
HDMI 1.3 or above (some monitors do not accept >60 Hz over HDMI, so don't count on this option)

xxx

Which one should I use?

A straight DisplayPort connection is the preferred option in all cases.

At 1920×1080 if DisplayPort is not available, then use Dual-Link DVI. If Dual-Link DVI is not available, you can try HDMI as a last resort, but it is not guaranteed to work for 120+ Hz (it depends on the monitor; some work, some don't). HDMI 1.3 and above are capable of 1080p 120+ Hz, but not all monitors implement this capability.

xxx

Isn’t HDMI limited to 60 Hz?

No, HDMI is not limited to 60 Hz. This is a common myth. Sometimes, certain displays will not accept HDMI signals above 60 Hz even when the monitor is capable of 120+ Hz signals over other connections, but that is just a limitation of those particular products. HDMI itself allows unlimited refresh frequencies, and this has been the case since version 1.0.

Notable examples of monitors which don't accept >60 Hz over HDMI are the BenQ XL2411(Z) and the ASUS VG248QE (which both use HDMI 1.4a).

xxx

Can I use a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI passive adapter / cable?

No. DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI passive adapters / cables do not actually exist. Even though most DisplayPort to DVI adapters you see for sale are labeled as "Dual-Link", all of these are fake, they are only Single-Link DVI adapters in disguise.

The DisplayPort connector has 20 pins, which means it can be used as a Single-Link DVI-D port via a passive adapter. However, Dual-Link DVI requires 25 pins, so a DisplayPort connector does not have enough pins to emulate a Dual-Link DVI connection.

xxx

My 120+ Hz monitor only has DVI and HDMI input, no DisplayPort, and my graphics card / laptop doesn't have a DVI output available. What should I do?

HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 can support up to 144 Hz at 1080p, but this will not work on all monitors. Some monitors such as the BenQ/Zowie XL2411(Z) or the ASUS VG248QE will not accept >60 Hz over HDMI even though they have HDMI 1.4a inputs. This is not because "HDMI is limited to 60 Hz" (it isn't), this is just a limitation of these particular products.

xxx

Connecting to the display's DVI input

Single-Link DVI only supports up to 60 Hz at 1080p, so Dual-Link DVI is required for 120+ Hz. This means inexpensive DisplayPort-to-DVI or HDMI-to-DVI passive adapters / cables cannot be used, because DisplayPort and HDMI only support passive adapters to Single-Link DVI, not to Dual-Link.

If you are using a monitor that only has DVI and HDMI inputs (no DisplayPort) and also doesn't accept >60 Hz over HDMI (like the BenQ XL2411Z), then you must use the Dual-Link DVI input. If your computer does not have a native DVI output to connect to it, you must use a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapter.

Not just any DisplayPort to DVI active adapter will work. Inexpensive DisplayPort to DVI active adapters are all Single-Link-only and will not work for 1080p 120+ Hz. True DP to DL-DVI active adapters are very expensive, and generally quite unreliable. They should only be used as a last resort.
"

Original Poster: Glenwing (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=120Hz_displays)

liTtle_3

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015

Is there any possible way for me to do this? Or do I have to get a new monitor/gpu?

Last resort, as the guide states, is to get a TRUE DisplayPort-to-Dual Link-DVI active adapter.

You can try the same manufacturer you linked (StarTech) but choose the "Style: DVI (Dual)" (https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00A493CNY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500921305&sr=1-1&keywords=displayport+to+dvi+dual-link). It's very expensive though, and based on reviews of verified purchases in amazon for that product, some got it to work at 144Hz, while some also did not. So, it's not a guarantee it will work.

If such adapter doesn't appeal to you, then, sadly, only choice to get that 144Hz you really want is either changing the monitor (one that supports 144Hz on DP) or changing the GPU (one that has a DVI-D Dual Link output port).

Solution

Dooop805

Respectable
Nov 10, 2016

That ones also not dual link.. You can look at it an tell..
This one has dual link but is not powered... https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0035PS57C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500921305&sr=1-1&keywords=displayport%2Bto%2Bdvi%2Bdual-link&th=1