Need help finishing up choices before buying parts.

Fusionxz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Basically I just want all opinions on this build, I plan to start purchasing parts within the next few days. I want to know all you're personal experiences if you've had any with any of the parts in the build, or if you recommend anything different. The only component I'm kinda off and on about is the ASRock Gaming K6 Motherboard that I've got in the build currently, as I've heard terrible things about dead pcie slots causing other components to break, and that ASRock has TERRIBLE customer support and you can hardly get a hold of them. However, I've also heard that it's a good quality board with great overclocking capabilities for inexperienced users (such as myself, and I plan to overclock pretty heavily, probably will try to get around 5GHz). Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($120.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($115.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($21.64 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm Fan ($15.53 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Aer fan red trim ($5.99)
Total: $1282.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-23 18:21 EDT-0400

I think it will be a very nice rig. Some of the pricing is a little high. If you live near a Microcenter it will save you a ton, but they are only in the big markets.

You might want to take a look at the Corsair ML-Pro fans. I have several of them and they are very quite. They are not cheap, but very quite and are designed to work as both, static pressure and air flow fans.

The only question I would have for you is what is your monitor for that rig? A 1080 is a very powerful card, so if you are only going to be gaming at 1080p, then I would not suggest getting a 1080. And if you are thinking about gaming at 4k, a 1080 will not be able to get 60fps at max settings, so you may want to consider a 4k monitor.

Fusionxz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

I actually currently have 2 working 1080p 60hz monitors. My plan is to first finish the computer, and then a month or two after i can save up a bit more extra money I was planning to get the dell S2417DG. I also do not mind much noise, I want the best possible air flow and cooling, do you think that the AF Series won't do the job?

*Also, unfortunately the closest Microcenter to me is about a 6-7 hour drive.

Fortunately, you do not have to give up low noise for fan performance. And don't go down the path of maximum air flow. You may think noise doesn't matter,
but it does. Picture playing your favorite game, and then picture the same game with a vacuum cleaner running next to your system.

Noctua offers some of the best fans out there with performance and low noise at the same time.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998%20600035590%20600035592&IsNodeId=1&Description=noctua%20120mm&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=36

Fusionxz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

But damn are those noctua fans ugly... As I asked above, do you think the AF series will lack in performance? I've heard great things about them.

The Corsair fans usually have good performance. I have heard that they do have some quality issues in general.

As to the Noctua fans, I rarely even see the fans once installed. But they are now available in black as well as the beige/ brown color.

I have several Corsair products, and I have not had any problems. But I am not some Cosair spokesman, like every company, I am sure they have had their lemons.

As far as fans go, performance is typically the same across the board. What sets the fans apart is the amount of air they move vs. the amount of noise they make to move that air.

Noctua, is widely considered the "Cadillac" of fans. It does not get much better quality, performance, and noise than a Noctua fan. I chose the Corsair ML fans because they are LED and I wanted them to match my rig. This is the only knock to Noctua (no pun intended), their fans dont look great.

The Dell monitor you picked out is a nice monitor and will pair well with a 1080. If you want to go all out, go for the Predator X34, it is amazing, but really expensive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009869&ignorebbr=1

Fusionxz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Thanks for your input, I am still not sure what fan I'm going to go for, but its most likely between the corsair SP and AF series, do you recommend ML over them? I realize that SP is Static Pressure and AF is Air Flow but what would ML stand for? I also have read many places that SP is better in some scenarios than AF even if its not for a radiator. And I'm definitely going for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M and I will definitely front mount the radiator as an intake, leaving 3 120 or 2 140 (which I'm not sure which to choose, help on that too?) on the top, and 1 140 on the rear. I also wanted to ask with the fans, should I have the only intake be the radiator on the front, and the top and rear be exhaust, or is there a better option somewhere in between?

The ML stands for magnetic levitation. I'm sure it's a marketing play, but they claim they are both air flow and static pressure. Here is a link:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835181110

As for fan location you want intake at front and bottom and exhaust through top and rear. Since heat rises, you don't want to fight physics and try and push it out the bottom.

I would put the radiator at the top if possible. If you put the radiator on the front of the fans will blow through the radiator and heat up the air. That hot air will go to your GPU, VRM, and RAM. If you put the radiator on the top of the case it will exhaust the hot air out of the case.

Fusionxz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

As far as the Enthoo Pro M goes, there is no bottom fan mounts, only front top and rear. Therefore I would do the radiator in front as intake and top + rear exhaust. My reasoning behind the decision of putting the radiator as intake in the front, as I've been HEAVILY decided to put it up top, was the findings behind this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves&feature=youtu.be
Trusted youtuber that I get info from all the time, who did an exact test on this and found that putting the radiator as front intake will lower the temps up to a full 15 degrees celsius.

*Skip to 7:50 for the stats

Also with the fans, do you think I should go ML for everything other than the radiator..? As I plan to keep the radiator fans at default because AER P fans have a great reputation.

I know that site and they have very good information.But the beauty of building custom PC's are that there are limitless combinations of hardware. Changing the hardware can have different results. Utilizing a different case can have dramatic differences in cooling performance. So unless you are planning on using the exact same hardware, then you should expect different results.

With that being said, I would try both radiator positions out to see which is better performance for your particular setup. Again, that goes back to the beauty of PC customization.

As for the fans, I would wait to I build the system and see how it sounds and cools before I go out and spend a lot on fans that I may not need.