Random Freezing Issue

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi guys.
Rig Spec:
Corsair CX650M semi-modular PSU (Bottom Mounted with fan facing down)
Casecom KM-9188 ATX Case
Asus P6T6 WS Revolution & Xeon X5660
Zalman CNPS10X Extreme CPU Cooler
12GB DDR3-10600E ECC Unbuffered Standard RAM
1GB ATI Radeon HD5770
2 120GB SSD (connected to a PCI-E BOOTABLE SATA card)
4 1TB HDD (7200RPM)
1 Standard 1000RPM 120MM fan at front (intake)
1 Arctic F12 & 1 Standard 1000RPM Side fan (Both intake)
1 Standard 1000RPM 120MM Top fan (exhaust)
1 Arctic F8 at rear (Exhaust)

The issue is really strange:
I can use the PC for games, browsing, typing, etc and it runs fine for hours on end without issue
If I try to MOVE files from one drive to another, it freezes some times but completes the operation other times.
If I try to COPY files from one drive to another, 99% of the time it is fine.
Examples:
Last night, I set a "Lost File" scan running in a VM (VMWare Workstation Player booting from Hiren's boot DVD into Mini-XP) and it ran all night without error and was still running when I left the house. I set the copy going to shift the files to another drive and the system froze up - much the same way it did last night when I attempted to MOVE 39GB of docs/music from one drive to another - but when I attempted to COPY 109GB of movies, etc from one drive to another, it copied them perfectly without error.
It's really confusing me and is REALLY annoying. Any ideas peeps?

Solution

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
The issue resurfaced the day after i put my additional note up. It also got worse, every time i installed chipset drivers to any operating system the pc froze when adding the SAS register or throttle hub drivers. After a little research into this, i discovered that a pci-e card can cause this. I removed my USB 3.0 PCI-e x1 card and the system started running normally (i should have thought of this earlier as it has been kicking up an intermittent device manager code 10 (device can not start) error for a while now). Thankfully, its sorted 100% now and the whole annoying issue was just a pci-e x1 usb 3.0 card lol

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Unfortunately, I have narrowed it down even further.
If I connect my boot drives to the on board SATA ports on the motherboard, I get the freezing issue when installing chipset drivers.
However when I connect the Boot drives to the PCI-E SATA Card (Bootable) - the system installs the drivers perfectly without issue.
The drivers it ALWAYS freezes installing are either one of the following:
Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub Control Status & RAS Registers - 3423 (When installing chipset drivers to Win10)
Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub throttle Registers - 3438 (When installing chipset drivers to WinXP)
I suspect these are something to do with the SATA ports or control of them and would appreciate any input on possible resolutions.
Whether I install the chipset drivers or not, I still get the system randomly freezing up when moving files/detecting sensors (speedfan/AIDA64 monitoring and fan control) If the boot drives are connected to the motherboard.
I have removed CMOS battery and cleared CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard - all voltages are nominal (the only one that appears low is the +3.3V Rail that comes up +3.23V/+3.26V which is well within tolerance) all others are slightly OVER their labelled voltages (eg 12.02V, 5.05C, etc).
It's an ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution Motherboard

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Have you tried looking at event manager to see if its flagging up any issues ?

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017

No, as once the system freezes after attempt to install chipset drivers, it no longer boots up correctly, it just sits there with windows 10 startup screen and the dots going around in a circle for hours on end and never completes startup or reboots.
It wont even get a fix via startup repair or resetting windows using the windows 10 reset procedure, I am forced to reinstall Windows to get Windows 10 to restart as for XP - it will restart but only in "Last known good configuration" which means it loses any changes made from last startup.
The even more odd thing is that when it freezes, the PC wont respond to the reset button at all - I have to force power down by holding the power button until PC goes off.
BIOS never reports any errors and all diagnostics run (using Hiren's Boot DVD 15.1) on RAM, CPU, HDDs and GPU all come back without error.
The bit that has me confused is the fact that it runs fine when I use my SATA card for the boot drives (I don't mind doing this, I just need to re-route the SATA cables to make it neater).

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Sounds like maybe a potential harddrive issue, any chance you could test it with a different harddrive ?

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017

Done it with 2 different SSDs and one of my 7200RPM HDDs too - same issue with all 3. I am starting to think it is SATA controller issue. I am going to run a full test later and see if it will allow me to move large volumes of files without freezing up now and if it does then this will be even more confusing as it works fine when I use the SATA controller card to connect boot drives to but not when I connect them to my onboard SATA... Will update tonight.
Any other suggestions are welcome though

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I agree with your idea that it is a sata controller, one thing to try is to remove your graphics card and run of integrated graphics, i once had a faulty gpu that caused some very strange issues. If that doesnt help then maybe a new mobo will have to be on the shopping list. Computers are great when they actually work arent they

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017

I don't have integrated graphics on my motherboard.
I may see f I can find another GPU and test that.
I will also see about trying another PCI-E slot for GPU seeing as all my slots share 64 lanes and are all x16 slots.
The last thing I need is for this to be a motherboard/GPU issue as I can't afford to replace either right now and wont be able to for at least a couple of months. I Was relying on getting this up and running to start a home-based business (hence wanting a RAID5 volume internally to help safeguard the data).

And yes, PCs are wonderful when they work - but not so much when they don't. lol

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
A new temporary mobo wont set you back too much, gpu might. I once had a GTX 670 and it would make the machine completely freeze after 10 or so mins of being on, took me a while to diagnose the issue.

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017

A new MOBO to suit my processor is between £40-60 second hand and over £100 brand new
As for GPU - its not imperative that I have a stupidly high-end card but it would be nice to have something in the region of what I have. The issue is that this one should have been £45 but I had a voucher that pulled the price down to £20. Either way, I can't afford it right now - I will have to test further tonight by attempting to move/copy a large volume of data from one of the 1TB drives to the SSDs and see if it falls over. Then try doing it the other way and see if it works. If it does, then this is even weirder than I thought lol

Another thought that has come to mind is the SATA Cables. I will test this theory tonight

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Keep us updated on your progress

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Here comes the stupidly weird bit:
Data move from HDDs to SSDs successful (100ish gb data moved without a glitch).
So, my next steps ended up being:
Takr out every SATA cable
Re-aarrang my wiring internally so it was all a little neater and refitted my SATA cables the way they were when i first installed the motherboard (didnt bother reinstalling windows, didnt see the point)
Made sure all SATA cables sat correctly in HDD/SSD and motherboard end.
Booted system up - no errors.
Restarted and created the RAID5 volumes i wanted on my 1tb drives
Restarted - booted normally
All 100+gb data moving back to RAID disks now at steady speed of 40-50MB/s from SSD to my RAID5 storage volume.
The only thing i can think of is that the SATA cables were not quite sitting right (either that or it was the balls-up i made in connecting both a sata power AND a molex power to the one drive i have that supported both (didnt realise until i re-did wiring tonight - changed that to SATA power only).
Major whoopsie on my part but i have learned my lesson - ALWAYS check, double check and triple-check ALL cabling and power connectors BEFORE starting PC up. Thankfully nothing fried and all is stable.

In the words of a certain star wars character... Me'sa feels a bit silly now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions peeps, you've been ace!

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
You was doing well until you quoted that gungan swine. Glad to hear everything is sorted now, I tried doing a very nerve racking bios update last night to try and fix my rgb lighting, seems to of gone well, so looks like everythings fallen into place for both of us, good luck with your business

Solution

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
I eventually found out the cause, it appears to be something to do with one of my PCI-E slots (annoying but not a game-changer as I have PCI-e x16 slots and am only using 2 GPUs and a PCI-E x1 add-in card). When I install cards into PCI-e 4 or 5 slot (cant remember which one it is now, just stuck a layer of electrical tape over it to remind me not to use it), my PC plays up but when I install cards into all 5 other ports, it is fine. But thanks everyone.