Will multiple monitors (3) decrease fps if the game is only on one monitor?

sadisticbadger0125

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
I have had a dual monitor setup for awhile now and I'm about to add a third monitor however I run into conflicting answers to this question. When I game I run the game on a 1080p monitor and then my desktop is just on my other monitor just chilling (unless i'm watching a movie or something as I game). So, by adding a third monitor which as I game would only be on my desktop screen, would that harm my fps at all? (i'm on a gtx 1070, i5 6600k 4.2 ghz, 16 gb ddr4 3200) If it matters, my current monitors are 1080p 60 hz and 900p 60 hz and the one i'm adding is also 900p 60hz (out of all 3 it would be the oldest of em all)
Quick notes
already on 2 monitors
when I game I only use one
on a gtx 1070
Will NEVER game across all three monitors
My second monitor did not affect my performance at all, but I heard that 3 can so then this question formed
last but not least
the monitor is being adapted to hdmi with a dvi to hdmi adapter, which is the same for my secodn monitor.

theyeti87

Honorable
Best way to figure this out is to connect all three and see how your games run. My guess is that you won't notice much of a difference, with maybe the exception of heavy AAA titles.

sadisticbadger0125

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Yeah, I guess so.
gotta wait until I get my adapters though XD

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Adding a third monitor itself won't really decrease performance, but watching say an uncompressed blu-ray on one of the screens and playing a modern game will definitely negatively impact performance.

sadisticbadger0125

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

so lets just say I get 60 fps on one game and then add a third monitor that just sits on the desktop, would a drop to something as high as 59 fps be caused by the introduction of said monitor?
Assuming of course that the game would never have a reason to drop a single frame in the first place

TRENDING THREADS