Entire PC failure after reboot.

AkhilM

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
I was using my computer fine yesterday, but when I booted it up earlier today, all my desktop icons disappeared with the text showing, my audio service refuses to run, my internet says it's not working along with most applications broken. I also can't reset my PC as it says no changes made.

Solution

ScanDisk looks ok which is good news as from your initial description it sounded like your HDD is on the way out.

If it's a fairly new build I'd probably try Resetting the PC before possibly...

norune

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
What kind of computer is this? Laptop or desktop?

I would also start and check what kind of driver has been installed for your graphic card ( or if its just an APU from Intel /AMD ) , in some cases you might have to download and reinstall the graphic driver for your device.

AkhilM

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015

Desktop I built, and internet isn't working so I'm not sure how to redownload gpu drivers. Should I post my current driver here?

AkhilM

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015

I don't have a previous restore point. Will I have to just fully wipe my PC?

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

Ok then try running CheckDisk.

Windows Key + X
select the Command Prompt (Admin) option
chkdsk C:

Let us know what comes back.

AkhilM

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015

http://imgur.com/a/1wFOI
Sorry I wasn't able to screenshot, as the internet on my PC doesn't work and I have nothing else on hand that can accept flash drives. I have 2 other drives, let me know if I should run disk check on those as well.

Dmarkojr

Honorable
Jun 30, 2016
I know you said you didnt have a restore point, but did you check to see if you can roll back an update (pretty close to the same, but its worth a shot). My mom's laptop just recently updated, and basically bricked everything, even windows command prompt. All i did to fix it was to open file explorer (if that works), right click on "This PC", open"properties", which should bring up the system page within control panel. From there, click "control panel home", click "system and security", open "security and maintenance", and then open "recovery". Lastly, once system restore opens, click "next" once you read through ( it may uninstall a few programs depending on when it last created a restore point [usually before an update]), look for the most recent restore point and select it (if within reason: past week or so). From there, its up to you as i dont feel like resetting my pc back 5 days to describe everything. Hopefully this works, but if it doesnt, good luck unravelling the mysterious ways of the beast we call windows 10...

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

ScanDisk looks ok which is good news as from your initial description it sounded like your HDD is on the way out.

If it's a fairly new build I'd probably try Resetting the PC before possibly reinstalling Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
Both pretty drastic steps for a PC not running well but your symptoms sound worse than just some program giving trouble.

Solution