Dual Monitors connected to a laptop

caitlingall215

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I have a HP laptop I hooked 2 external monitors up to the lap top using a HDMI to DVI double splitter. I can ot figure out how to split the monitors setting is only detecting 2 monitors one being the laptop screen and one of the additional monitors I connected. so its only detecting 1 additional monitor and only working in clone. Do I need to buy a different splitter or is there a setting to fix this I was to be able to use both external monitors as separate screen I do not even want to sue the lap top screen

Solution
Unfortunately, a splitter is only going to allow duplicating the screen on each monitor. Basically, you're taking the same video signal and sending it to 2 monitors. Depending on your laptop, you need a docking station that has 2 video outputs. Some HP laptops are compatible with an HP docking station. There are also universal docking stations. Most of them require that the laptop have a USB 3.0 connector. If your laptop is newer, this may work.
Unfortunately, a splitter is only going to allow duplicating the screen on each monitor. Basically, you're taking the same video signal and sending it to 2 monitors. Depending on your laptop, you need a docking station that has 2 video outputs. Some HP laptops are compatible with an HP docking station. There are also universal docking stations. Most of them require that the laptop have a USB 3.0 connector. If your laptop is newer, this may work.

Solution

caitlingall215

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017