Need a new Android tablet, preferrably 8.4"

eggshen

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" (the SM-T320) when it came out in 2014 and for the most part have loved it. The high resolution screen has been especially handy for reading manuals and schematics. I haven't bothered to upgrade because I haven't had a problem installing and running the apps I need and the tablet has been running fine, until now.

I've had some apps crash or not work right and now even Settings crashes occasionally. The OS hasn't been updated since 4.4.2 because Samsung dropped updates in favor of the new hardware that came out soon after the tablet launched. I've tried completely resetting the OS back to factory and re-downloading all updates but that didn't work.The battery is also not holding as long a charge as it used to, and at this point it's not worth trying to replace it.

I'm looking for a new tablet to fit my needs but the general "Best of 2017" has been hit or miss with recommendations. I do PC repair and like fixing things in general on my own, so I watch a lot of DIY and walkthrough videos and read a lot of manuals. Outside of work I watch a lot of videos both through streaming services and stuff I've downloaded or ripped, some of it is HD/Blu-ray quality. I'll also use it to listen to music (through headpones or external speakers), read e-mail, browse the web, read some books/magazines/comics, etc. I don't do a lot of gaming, drawing/image editing, video chat, etc. I also don't use a ton of apps or do a lot of "mobile" stuff with it. I'm hoping someone here would be able to give me a solid recommendation. I've seen and used a lot of recommendations from here for other software and hardware questions that ended up being spot on.

- First, preferrably not Samsung. I'd like to have a device that is up to date and would keep getting updates.
- I love the 8.4" form factor and would like to have the same or something very close. Being able to hold it in one hand is a must.
- A high resolution screen, 2560x1600 would be great but I could step down a peg or two on the resolution scale.
- Fast, solid hardware. It doesn't have to be the absolute latest and greatest, but I want something with a good cpu, gpu, and memory that's going to be stable and last me at least as long as the Tab Pro.
- Speakers, cameras, and storage space are not high priorities. If it's recent whatever is on there should work fine for my needs. I would prefer something with expandable memory but it's not a deal breaker.
- Money is not a problem but I don't need a ton of bells and whistles.