How to re-activate free Windows 10 license after component change

NeCro92

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
Hi all,

My PC is currently at a repair shop where either the CPU or the motherboard is going to be replaced due to damage. This is the 2nd time that the same model of MB (MSI 970A G43) is going to be replaced due to a fault/damage, so I'll most likely look at another AMD model.

Last time I had my MB replaced, my free Windows 10 license was made void due to a change in my PC's component configuration. I had to format my PC and install a legitimate version of Windows 8.1, and then upgrade to Windows 10 again. Since the free upgrade is no longer available, is there any way to re-activate my version of Windows 10? Otherwise, I'll be stuck with Windows 8.1.

Solution
When I changed my motherboard, I ran into the same problem, couldn't get it to activate, so after Windows 10 is installed, you'll find in the apps menu an app called get help, that will connect you to a Microsoft agent who will ask you a few questions, I just had to prove that I'd changed the motherboard by showing them an online receipt, if you don't have an online receipt, take a picture or scan your hard copy and upload it onto your computer to show them, also had to give them the original key I used to upgrade to windows 10, in my case, it was a windows 7 key, they checked it out and were happy with that and gave me a brand new shiny windows 10 key there and then for future use, also activated it for me what dialed into my machine.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
When I changed my motherboard, I ran into the same problem, couldn't get it to activate, so after Windows 10 is installed, you'll find in the apps menu an app called get help, that will connect you to a Microsoft agent who will ask you a few questions, I just had to prove that I'd changed the motherboard by showing them an online receipt, if you don't have an online receipt, take a picture or scan your hard copy and upload it onto your computer to show them, also had to give them the original key I used to upgrade to windows 10, in my case, it was a windows 7 key, they checked it out and were happy with that and gave me a brand new shiny windows 10 key there and then for future use, also activated it for me what dialed into my machine.

Solution
Just try to contact Microsoft customer support and explain the case to them.
Usually, they are nice enough to reactivate your Win10. (phone activation)
Just share them all the infos you have e.g. your original Win7 serial, bills, etc.

Even if you are bound by OEM Windows version, in some countries, you can still reactivate this version.
Simply try to contact Microsoft customer support!

USAFRet

Titan

You should have done this before the hardware swap:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

If you know your old Win 8.1 license key, try entering that.
It might work.

If that fails, then you'll probably need to call MS.

TRENDING THREADS