[Windows 10] Local Session Manager Very High Memory Usage?

oflor1

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Hi, I'm running Windows 10 Home on my PC that I just fully reset/wiped a week ago. Often when I enter Task Manager a process labelled "Local Session Manager" is taking up 97% of memory. I have no programs open whatsoever, no programs running in the background, and almost no startup prgrams. But it still keeps up and stays at 96-98% usage which is around 14,000 MB. I have no idea why so much memory is being used and I don't think it's a virus/malware becasue I recently wiped OS/HDD and got rid of everything, and haven't clicked on any dodgy links etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Local session manager to me sounds like your user, it handles all connections with servers and your client.

it should be under svchost: Local session manager. Its under LSM.exe in services tab

old info but still relevant:
The lsm.exe, Local Session Manager Service is a part of Windows operating system, included by Microsoft. lsm.exe process works in the collaboration of System Management task and its main function is to manage the connections related to servers on the hosted machines but in Windows Vista it works much more as it is also responsible for the sessions when you login to your PC itself, so it means lsm.exe handle with all sessions of a system either the remote desktop sessions or local system sessions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Local session manager to me sounds like your user, it handles all connections with servers and your client.

it should be under svchost: Local session manager. Its under LSM.exe in services tab

old info but still relevant:
The lsm.exe, Local Session Manager Service is a part of Windows operating system, included by Microsoft. lsm.exe process works in the collaboration of System Management task and its main function is to manage the connections related to servers on the hosted machines but in Windows Vista it works much more as it is also responsible for the sessions when you login to your PC itself, so it means lsm.exe handle with all sessions of a system either the remote desktop sessions or local system sessions.

https://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsm.exe.html

Try scanning for virus even though you say you fresh installed.
try doing clean boot and see if its the same: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Solution

TRENDING THREADS