water over keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellogs

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Water that dripped right over the keyboard during the course of a few hours. About one third of the keys on a Toshiba laptop's built in keyboard are dead. Should I suspect
- an indentation that I have put in the ribbon cable with a screw while attempting to re-assemble the laptop
- individual keys' electrical contacts (the non-functional keys are not all in the same area of the keyboard)
- or maybe the wear caused by the pre-existing bending of the ribbon cable ?

How would I diagnose this ?
Thanks

They're membrane keys, so I'd think that they're no longer properly conducting the board.
Shake out the laptop, then place a towel on the ground.
Swivel the lid so the laptop is opened flat, and leave it sitting face down for 12-24 hours before booting it up and trying again.

kellogs

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015

Thankks. I have tried it but didn't change anything. Took out a key and squeezed a small screwdriver under the membrane to make contact - nothing. Next I'll be replacing the ribbon.

kellogs

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
The problem was at the connector at the mainboard. It was not broken, but loose. What I have done was to tuck in a plastic bit together with the ribbon cable into the connector's tray. The keyboard is now working.

Status
Not open for further replies.