Best AMP/DAC for Sennheiser RS 185

Status
Not open for further replies.

kammerat

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Does Sennheiser RS 185 requires an AMP or DAC? If it does, which one(s)? I'm confused because it's hard for me to spot the difference between DAC and AMP, also I don't know what DAC/AMP will be enough becuase these are my first that expensive headphones.

kammerat

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

For real? So even my motherboard's sound chipset would be enough and it won't limit the quality of sound which is designed by headphones itself?

kammerat

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

I hope so. Anyway I was about to buy AMP/DAC worth like $200 so since you answered I don't need them anyway, can you suggest a decent external sound card (in case I will buy some other audio stuff which will require it like a decent studio microphone or more expensive headphones)?

No need for a dedicated soundcard for such headphone.
You need an AMP/DAC or a soundcard with decent amp only for those wired high-impedance headphones.
For those wireless headphones, you do not need any of those.
Sennheiser RS185 has it's own DAC/amplifier circuit, you can simply even connect your PC to this headphone via optical.

To tell you honestly, I would rather get a good DAC and combine it with Sennheiser HD600 or HD650....or at least HD598 or HD599, if the HD600/650 is too expensive for you.

DAC- digital to analog converter, like your soundcard.
DAC has usually already analog to analog amplifier in it.
Amplifier has or could have no DAC e.g. analog to analog amplifier.
Some people say DAC also as an amplifier or complete amplifier unit to simplify things but this create confusion.

Sound quality is determined mainly by your end driver a.k.a. speakers or headphone.
You get 80% of the sound quality from this.
If you want to get the next 20%, you have to get a good DAC+amp, especially if you use those high-impedance headphones, since standard on-board soundcard does not have strong enough amplifier to drive them.

Special headphones like wireless headphones, etc. already have their own electronics incl. amplifier or complete dac+amp unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.