win 10 constant bsod when booting

sparco31

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Hello all,

I thought i would try here as I've spent the last 3 weeks trying to fix my desktop pc with windows 10.

It's about 2 years old

windows 10
asus z170-e motherboard
gtx970
SSD and HDD
2 x 4gb corsair ram

Currently it boots into the first screen (the bios select screen), then from there after trying to load it goes into a BSOD (I've seen multiple codes ranging from critical process failed to server exception not handled), it will just keep circling if left alone with it restarting BSOD'ing then restarting again.

It started the other month when firefox would crash randomly, then after a week or so of that happening it would BSOD every other hour usually with (server exception not handled), soon enough it would BSOD as soon as it logged into windows, then it would do it every time you boot the computer.

I've tried numerous methods on trying to fix it, from the motherboard battery to just running off the SSD (as it currently sits) testing the ram, trying to single out a hard drive etc.

I temporarily fixed it by clearing the hard drive and reinstalling windows and it lasted about a week, i also updated everything i could for some reason firefox would still crash so i used chrome instead.

It lasted until the other day, when even chrome started crashing and then the original symptoms started reappearing.

Now as it currently sits it won't boot beyond the bios screen without BSOD'ing, nor will it boot from the windows disk in the disk drive without BSOD'ing, I can't access the advanced repair menu nor get into safe mode.

Is it safe to say the motherboard is toast? The SSD has always been used to boot as i only disconnected the HDD so possibly that?

Thanks

Solution

Yeah definitely sounds like the culrpit is the drivers, the problem is gonna be of course that we don't know which driver it is, so this will require a bit of testing as I mentioned. Once you have it narrowed down, then contact the...

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
"I temporarily fixed it by clearing the hard drive and reinstalling windows and it lasted about a week, i also updated everything i could for some reason firefox would still crash so i used chrome instead."

You answered your own question, it's a driver issue. One or more drivers is incompatible with your system.

Install Rollback Rx, before you run an update take a snapshot. If it boots fine, install the other, if it doesn't, roll the system back and report the driver incompatibility to the manufacturer.

sparco31

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

I just let it cycle for about 7 attempts and at the moment it's throwing me

system_service_exception
kmode exception not handled
system thread exception not handled
critical process died
registry filter driver exception

The other week when it would BSOD just as it logged into windows it was showing me a whole variety of different ones including the ones above.

sparco31

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

When i updated everything that's what seemed to fix it temporarily, then after that week it started doing it's first symptoms then to it's current state.

I'll try that software though, thanks.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Yeah definitely sounds like the culrpit is the drivers, the problem is gonna be of course that we don't know which driver it is, so this will require a bit of testing as I mentioned. Once you have it narrowed down, then contact the manufacturer. They may have a fix. I had something like this happen with an Nvidia driver, I rolled back my system, contacted Nvidia and they sent me a custom driver which solved my problem. So you'll want to just contact them and see what they say.

Solution