Windows 10 Update Service Corruption

networkmage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2015
Hello - I need suggestions before I give up and buy a new computer.

2 days ago I discovered a "backdoor.PHP" virus on my computer that surprisingly, Norton failed to find but windows defender did find. The signs that led to the suspicion of malware were the win updater service not functioning and Norton's definitions updater also failing for no reason and quite suddenly.

I was able to determine that I got this virus from downloading a backed up website .gz file from my web hosting server that was a Wordpress install. That led me to discover that the Wordpress website was hacked and had a string of code just waiting there to be downloaded to my local machine.

So, this backdoor virus corrupted my windows updater amongst other things and I have no idea the extent of compromise yet, as you know these kinds of malware enable someone to actually log and access my computer remotely.

So I did a clean install of Win 10 on the local computer, and that DID NOT resolve the windows updater service corruption. So I am thinking the hacker somehow placed this malware in the computer's firmware..maybe the AMD video card..and it survived the clean reinstall.

Any other ideas before I buy another expensive system?