Do I need to install the Windows OS when buying a prebuilt?

PCGamingGuy

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I'm looking into a prebuilt and since watching some unboxing videos online I found out that the prebuilt comes with a copy of Windows 10 on the CD.

My question is, do I need the CD to install Windows 10? Or does the OS (Windows 10) already comes installed on the system, thus making the physical copy a backup?

The prebuilt I'm looking at is here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=4dc74880-aa91-4f9a-846d-4afb022fef9f&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg199028&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

Solution

In general, we've seen far too many instances of CyberPower systems coming up short.
Either parts (crap PSU, no name RAM, etc), or assembly (dust filters literally glued in, drive cables not connected), or abysmal after sale support.
Normally a prebuilt system comes with it already installed and activated. You shouldn't have to do anything.

Now it isnt a bad idea to get the CD along with it, or at the very least document the license key and digitally download the install ISO and burn it to a USB instead you need to reinstall at a later time.

As best I could tell from the link you provided, they do not specify the frequency of the RAM. Ryzens benefit from a high frequency RAM. Also, I did not see any information about the power supply. The PSU is the heart of the system. From what I understand (from here on Tom's) Cyberpower has a history of using no-name low quality PSU's (based on whatever bulk purchase of PSUs they have recently made).

PCGamingGuy

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the information but I'd like to say why don't you like a CyberPowerPC (specifically this one?)

Based on multiple reviews from the site itself, plus this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfS5J3gGQa4) it seems like a good deal.

I never had a desktop gaming PC and I've been playing games on a gaming laptop so an upgrade to an rx 580 would be a huge jump for me. Plus, the prebuilt comes with a keyboard and monitor included so I can save way more money because I also have to do buy and research for budget 1080p monitors.

Agree that CyberPowerPC is a bad idea.

At least they are using a Phanteks and not Thermaltake case, but I bet whatever PSU they used will barley last the warranty period.

In a nutshell cyberpowerpc, ibuypower, etc are generally overpriced computers using the cheapest components they can find, that end up having limited upgrade path do to cost of parts being the biggest factor.

USAFRet

Titan

In general, we've seen far too many instances of CyberPower systems coming up short.
Either parts (crap PSU, no name RAM, etc), or assembly (dust filters literally glued in, drive cables not connected), or abysmal after sale support.

Solution