Blue Screens while gaming and random restarts

Sukkafish

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
In the last 2 months I installed a graphics card given to me (Geforce GT 740 SC- this is just so ya'll will know what I did before these problems started happening) the first 2 weeks was alright, nothing happened. Then my PC would randomly restart, usually within 5 minutes of turning it on. This wasn't happening TOO frequently, maybe once every 3 days. I kindof brushed it off. (that is still happening btw). Then starting about 2 weeks ago, I was playing World of Warcraft, then all of the sudden the game freezes and I get a quick Blue Screen telling me of the "Video Scheduler Internal Error". I disregarded it at first, until it happened again. I looked up the message and concluded it probably had something to do with the OC I put on the GPU. So I lowered it a bit, and that hasn't happened since. Then today is what scared me the most. (Keep in mind i recently bought a new HDD because the old one was toast) I start up the PC, open up Youtube and watch a video for maybe a minute and the screen freezes, I hear a really fast "popping" noise in my headset and the PC restarts. I open Youtube again and start watching another video. 2 minutes in it does the exact same thing then restarts. After that Windows 10 is booting up and I get the "Windows 10 did not start properly" screen and just pressed continue to Windows 10. Since then (about 30 minutes) nothing strange has happened. I am still very scared though something might be wrong with this PC.

Solution
Hello Sukkafish

There a few things you can try.

1) Make sure that your graphics driver is up-to-date. You mentioned that you installed it 2 months before. Please check with the vendor's official website if they have released any new update.

2) Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command and let it detect and automatically fix any issues with the system files.

3) Update the BIOS. However, before updating, please make sure to backup the current BIOS to avoid any future issues.

If none of the above solutions works, you can try Restoring Windows to an Earlier Restore Point, i.e. when the operating system worked fine.

Please report back with the results for any further assistance.

Cheers!! :)
Hello Sukkafish

There a few things you can try.

1) Make sure that your graphics driver is up-to-date. You mentioned that you installed it 2 months before. Please check with the vendor's official website if they have released any new update.

2) Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command and let it detect and automatically fix any issues with the system files.

3) Update the BIOS. However, before updating, please make sure to backup the current BIOS to avoid any future issues.

If none of the above solutions works, you can try Restoring Windows to an Earlier Restore Point, i.e. when the operating system worked fine.

Please report back with the results for any further assistance.

Cheers!! :)

Solution

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Do you have an OC on the CPU? Can you tell us your CPU model, Vcore, Overclock (if you have one), and PSU? Can you also check your CPU/GPU temps to see if they're overheating?

Sukkafish

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017

I will try these out and see if they work. A couple questions though. How would i go about updating the BIOS. My motherboard is pretty old, im pretty sure 2010 or before. And would restoring to an earlier Windows 10 version make me lose anything?

Sukkafish

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017

No I do not. My CPU is an AMD Athlon II X2 220 (I know trash). Just recently bought a new PSU (installed around the same time as GPU, guess i should have included that in the original question) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mgfXtJ. Ignore the other stuff. That PSU is my current one though. Ive also checked the temps nothing is overheating.