$200 +/- monitor recommendations

Stag1928

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I am debating getting a new monitor. Currently have a dell s2240m that is generally pretty OK, but I'm on the fence between a 75hz IPS freesync monitor or a 144hz TN freesync monitor. Most games I play on my 570 don't get anywhere near 144 fps (except for Doom and maybe Diablo 3) so is there a benefit? I've seen mixed information that it can be smoother even at lower frames, and that it's also pointless if you can't hit the frame rate target. A couple I've been looking at are the Samsung SF352 27' at Sam's, or the AOC g2460pf. Games typically played - Witcher 3, FC4, Doom, RoTR, etc. Not any competitive FPS games or eSports type games (i.e. league, CS Go)

*Running RX 570

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
-USA

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
-Games, movies, general web browsing

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
-24-27 inches

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
60hz - 144hz (not totally sure yet)

5. How much are you looking to spend?
~$200

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
No

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?

-Multiple? Radeon 17.7.2

Stag1928

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Right, I was figuring on taking a gamble with one off amazon warehouse deals because of the extended return policy. I'm hesitant to go after a TN panel because of the standard TN issues and from what I've seen the best cheap TN is that Viewsonic XG 2401. Is't it pretty noticeable to go from an IPS screen to a low end TN panel?