Questions about Windows 10 as an operating system?

Joe Valenz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Built a new system but still need an operating system and was looking on Amazon, I can get Windows 10 Home for about $100 but I can also get Windows 10 Pro for $130.

My questions are:
Is there a benefit from getting Pro?

and Is there anywhere else I can get them even cheaper or is this the cheapest it can go from reliable sellers?

Is getting 32 bit or 64 bit based on the system I built?

The reason I am thinking of getting pro is that I built this PC to be my business computer as I am planning on installing Solidworks and start a business that uses CNC machines would any of the added features of Pro benefit this type of business in any way or is it better just getting Home?

Solution
No, creating media for another PC does nothing with the license. You also don't want to upgrade the current Pc (for this scenario)

You follow the tool, select "create media for another PC" and follow the prompts.

As for the license, you can purchase a key with instant deliver from MS I believe, it any of those retail options (DVD, USB) and use the key- discarding the media you receive as it's dated.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
windows_10_pro_vs_windows_10_home_official.jpg

Pro is essentially Home + Bitlocker, Domains, Group Policy and Remote Desktop functionality.

For what you've described, I see no benefit to you in purchasing Pro. Most of the functionality can be achieved by third-party tools in any case.

As for 32bit or 64 ...... in 2017 on a Desktop, 64 should be what you're looking for.

Pro is really for computers being used in a managed network like in a business, government or school. Though there are always edge cases for a home user to have Pro.

In terms of performance there is zero difference between the two.

64-bit, always. Only use 32-bit if you have a very specific reason for doing so.

Joe Valenz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Ok so which should I go for to install on my newly built PC, the flash drive that is $109 on Amazon or the PC Disc for $104?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Only cheaper in the sense you buy the cheaper of the two; USB or DVD (so $5 savings or so), although you do need a 4GB USB drive.

Considering you don't then need to go through potentially 2 years of Windows updates though.....it would substantially "cheaper" in a time sense.

Joe Valenz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Actually, I already opened the Window Tool and gave me the option of upgrading my current PC or create the installation device for another PC.

Wouldn't this in anyway affect my current PC to lose its license if I opt to create installation media for another PC instead of upgrading my current system?

The current PC I have I plan on giving it to my brother and did not want to compromise the license of the PC?

Let me make this more clear the current PC I am on was my first build but I had bought an SSD drive that already came with Windows 10 Home. So I plan on giving this 1st built PC to my brother, this 1st build is also the one asking me to either update the PC or create an installation media.

My second build is the one I have newly built with no operating system.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, creating media for another PC does nothing with the license. You also don't want to upgrade the current Pc (for this scenario)

You follow the tool, select "create media for another PC" and follow the prompts.

As for the license, you can purchase a key with instant deliver from MS I believe, it any of those retail options (DVD, USB) and use the key- discarding the media you receive as it's dated.

Solution

Joe Valenz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Thanks for the help I have created the media within the flash drive and will be installing tomorrow it. :)