how to miracast to work on windows 10?

shadowkon626

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
so ive got a fire stick hooked up to my tv in my living room and i want to stream movies from my pc to that firestick. how do i do this?

my pc is not on wifi, but my router does have wifi. will it be possible? when i check if my is capable of running miracast through the connect app it tells me im not, but when i check through the directx diagnostics tool i get "Miracast: Available, with HDCP"

so whats going on here?

im able to connect other apps through wifi to my pc like my intel remote keyboard from my phone.

Solution
I could be wrong as this area has been changing lately, but last time I tried this, if you wanted to be downloading something from the internet on your computer (say netflix), and while it's downloading, at the same time stream it to the tv, then no, you can't do it that way, your laptop needs to support miracast/wi-di to directly project the entire screen to the tv. Alternatively if it doesn't you need a chromecast or a firestick like you have, but your laptop still needs to support basic wireless in order to communicate directly with the fire stick.
If your pc is not on wireless at all like you say, then you can stream stuff over your network through the router (presuming your TV is newer and supports the DLNA standard), but the file...

Sedivy

Estimable
I could be wrong as this area has been changing lately, but last time I tried this, if you wanted to be downloading something from the internet on your computer (say netflix), and while it's downloading, at the same time stream it to the tv, then no, you can't do it that way, your laptop needs to support miracast/wi-di to directly project the entire screen to the tv. Alternatively if it doesn't you need a chromecast or a firestick like you have, but your laptop still needs to support basic wireless in order to communicate directly with the fire stick.
If your pc is not on wireless at all like you say, then you can stream stuff over your network through the router (presuming your TV is newer and supports the DLNA standard), but the file has to be already downloaded and present on your computer, and then it's the file you share. For instructions on how to set this up go here:
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/how-to-set-up-dlna-on-your-devices-26991.html
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-set-up-a-dlna-server
In that case fire stick is not needed at all.
Or if you want to share the screen ie. project the screen directly onto the tv while you're downloading at the same time, you can connect the pc directly via a cable to the tv, usually the hdmi to hdmi cable.
Again, not much point to fire stick in that case.
TLDR, if your PC isn't wireless at all, why the fire stick?

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
win 10 has managed to kill miracast. it worked for early builds but by the first major build update it no longer worked. i used it a lot when win 10 first came out to do just what you're asking about. then all of a sudden i got the same error "miracast not supported" after an update.

sadly i don't think it will work anymore nor have i found a way to get it working. i gave up and now put the video files onto an old android phone i have sitting around. then i miracast from it to the tv.

have not done it in a while but probably a year ago i was able to stream to the phone and cast it to the tv at the same time. not sure if it still works since i just have the file downloaded first now.

EirikH

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
windows 10 didn't kill miracast, geforce did. Nvidia graphics discontinued support for miracast bit over a year ago, so if you have a geforce graphicscard, you need to roll back to the 350.12 driver (grand theft auto game ready driver). If you do that, i'm pretty sure it will work, worked for me.