Connect to and use desktop (cable and wifi available) from portable wifi only

mg250

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I want to be able to have access to my desktop, as if were in front of it, through a wireless connection on a portable. Details below:

My desktop is wired to the FIOS gigabit router. The desktop does have an adequate wireless connection available.

I have a Netgear ORBI system consisting of one router which is cabled to the FIOS router, and two wireless satellites. Orbi is designed to combine the 2.4 and 5 gb bands so there is one fast band and one guest band. All, except for guest, have the same SSID which is needed to keep my cell phone connected as well. Wireless is turned off on the FIOS router and is handled by the Orbi router.

I want to be able to connect to (input and output) my desktop computer using a portable which has dual band wifi and is located far from the Orbi router but fairly close to one of the satellites.

I'm not at ease with networking but can follow intricate instructions without a problem. Is there a way to leave my current setup alone since it's finally working well - and be able to use the portable as if I were on my desktop, albeit slower.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and education.

I'd recommend that you use the Remote Desktop Connection that is already built into windows. Here's info on how to do it: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/turn-on-remote-desktop-in-windows-vista/