Is digital Resolution Better than native resolution

Badidrox

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Hello i know this is a dumb question but i want to know precisely if using 1080p resolution on a 768p monitor worth the gaming (i always see the option to change the resolution to higher than native resolution)
tho i'm sure its not worth because it will overstretch but still i want to know a clear answer without doubts!

Solution
In my opinion, its not worth to setup higher resolution if your monitor can't display it. I did this to test it out when I had 1080p monitor. The difference in optical gain is negligible, because it looks the same (to me) and just need more horse power to render it. Yes, you will see a difference in a comparison still image, but in gaming, its not much of a difference.

And there is no clear answer without doubts. It have it cons and pros and only you can say if it is worth for you. Especially if you have the option to test it yourself. Why don't you try it and see if it is good for you? I only can speak for me!

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
using a 1440p monitor to render in 1080p results in sharp pictures without the need for AA because more pixels can be recruited to translate the information. so the opposite will be true if you try squeezing 1080 into a 720.

using a 1440p monitor to render 1080p results in slightly more accurate coloured line borders (akin to the above sentence) as more pixels can be used to display colour borders sharper/better. so the opposite is true if you squeeze 1080 into a 720.

none of this really matters if your monitor simply up/down-scales your display ... eg displays 720p worth of information and the rest is 'outside' of your screen dimensions. basically youre seeing 720p's worth of display whilst making your card render 1080p worth of info ... pointless.

Im no expert when it comes to colour management, but if picture quality is what you want, get a better monitor.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
In my opinion, its not worth to setup higher resolution if your monitor can't display it. I did this to test it out when I had 1080p monitor. The difference in optical gain is negligible, because it looks the same (to me) and just need more horse power to render it. Yes, you will see a difference in a comparison still image, but in gaming, its not much of a difference.

And there is no clear answer without doubts. It have it cons and pros and only you can say if it is worth for you. Especially if you have the option to test it yourself. Why don't you try it and see if it is good for you? I only can speak for me!

Solution