opinions on upgrading my system

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
updating my pc and want some opinions as i seem to have a hard time making up my mind.
Is there enough of a difference between the 1600 and 1600x ryzen to justify spending the extra money the 1600x does not have cooler either so it would probably be 40-60$ more?

i was looking at ssd and the pci and sata are not much different in price The way i see it sata ssd is pretty much just as good and easier to work worth as boot drive on windows 7. but is the difference noticeable if i am not transferring large amounts of data? Also is there a heat issue with it connected right to mobo in between cpu and gpu?

Last these are current specs is now a good time to upgrade or should i holdout for next lineup of cpu gpu?
Phenom 2 1055t 6x 2.6ghz
500gb 64cache 7200rpm
8gb ddr3
sapphire 7950 boost 3gb
basically upgrade mobo, cpu, memory, hdd, and maybe gpu.

Thanks for any input some of these were looked in to previously on toms but most i found were 2 years old and i wanted a more up to date point of view. mostly used for medium gaming some high end but i will use the build for the next 6-7 years.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
A SATA SSD will be fine if you're just doing typical boot and not a lot of large file transferring. As for the CPU, i'd go with the standard R5 1600 to save money and the stock cooler isn't bad at all, if you really wanted you could try just Overclock the extra clock speeds to a R5 1600X anyway. Just a warning, Windows 7 does not officially support Ryzen or Intel Kaby Lake. I'd recommend upgrading the GPU sometimes soon as well, as yours is quite old and falling behind in today's standards. Something like an RX 580 / GTX 1060 6GB is an excellent jump and a good pairing with a Ryzen 5 1600 but it depends what Resolution you intend on playing at, (1080p, 1440p, etc) and if you play above 60 Hz (FPS). Hope this helps :)

I agree about going with the 1600 over the 1600X. The included cooler is decent enough to manage a reasonable overclock, and ultimately, both the 1600 and 1600X should perform fairly similar when overclocked.

Your existing graphics card could arguably be considered alright for the time being, though that will depend on what your needs are in terms of resolution and graphics settings. The 7950's performance should at least comparable to a 1050 Ti from the current generation, but that is more of a lower-end gaming card. Considering that the prices and availability of graphics cards are still not exactly great due to cryptocurrency mining, I would probably hold off on that for the moment.