Is a 1050 Ti ok for 3840 x 1600 (no gaming)

Ricky5555

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Hi guys I'm just about to pull the pin on the parts for my new workstation.

This forum kindly advised me to buy the GTX 1050ti for my needs. I'm not gaming at all. This is a Ryzen workstation for photo editing, coding and some video editing. It won't even play minesweeper :)

I'm wanting to buy the 38in LG ultra wide. I'm just wondering if the 1050ti with its 4gb vram be enough to power this monitor?

I'm not interested in saving a few quid at the detriment of my set up but by the same token I don't want to be putting money into a GPU that I'll never take advantage of.

If the miners hadn't messed up the market I think I would have bought an RX570 but they have so I can't.

Any thoughts / suggestions most welcome.

Thanks Richard

Solution
GTX 1050ti would be more than sufficient if you're not gaming. Regular 2d display is not very resource intensive, and many IGPUs can handle that. However, as you probably found out, the Ryzen CPUs don't have a GPU, so you should get a decent one. Something else to consider is that some workstation software can benefit from a good GPU (cuda acceleration) - so - get the best GPU you can afford.

And a GTX 1060 is a pretty decent card. Much more powerful than the 1050ti while not being all that much more expensive.

B350 boards are fine - assuming you're only using one GPU, and may do a little overclocking. The X370 boards have more robust power design and seem to hit slightly higher OCs (maybe +100mhz) over the B350s. But if you're...

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

This will put some of it's specs into perspective for what you are going to be using it for: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3287664/pick-gtx-1050-rendering-editing.html

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
GTX 1050ti would be more than sufficient if you're not gaming. Regular 2d display is not very resource intensive, and many IGPUs can handle that. However, as you probably found out, the Ryzen CPUs don't have a GPU, so you should get a decent one. Something else to consider is that some workstation software can benefit from a good GPU (cuda acceleration) - so - get the best GPU you can afford.

And a GTX 1060 is a pretty decent card. Much more powerful than the 1050ti while not being all that much more expensive.

B350 boards are fine - assuming you're only using one GPU, and may do a little overclocking. The X370 boards have more robust power design and seem to hit slightly higher OCs (maybe +100mhz) over the B350s. But if you're just leaving the Ryzen stock and not going for a cinebench world record, you can usually hit 3.7-3.8 on all 8 cores on a B350.

Solution

Ricky5555

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Thanks guys I very much appreciate your input. None of my friends are into PCs so I don't have anyone to discuss this with IRL.

I think in light of all the money I'm spending I'm going to go for a 1060 and stick with the B350.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Exactly. Since he's probably not going to OC much, it's better to go with a less expensive motherboard and a more expensive GPU. The X370 boards range from $150-300, the B350 boards are $60-110. So - save $100 on the board and spend it on GPU which makes a difference in processing. And of course, then he can game with it too if he wants...

TRENDING THREADS