Choosing a Bluetooth ODB2 scanner for Android: BAFX 34t5 vs BlueDriver Professional

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
So, I am looking for a Bluetooth-enabled ODB2 scanner for use with Android phones, and after reading a few dozen sites and reviews, I have narrowed it down to two:

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/

And

BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/

The first one I have to admit is much more appealing simply because it's considerably cheaper, $20 compared to the $100 the other goes for, yet is apparently still of pretty good quality, being 1st or 2nd place in most lists for some of the best Bluetooth ODB2 scanners. Although it doesn't come with it's own app, but is compatible with most 3rd party apps. Most to all of the good 3rd party apps appear to not be free, so that's an additional cost right there, though still overall cheaper than the BlueDriver.

The BlueDriver one appeals to me because it can scan additional codes for ABS, Airbags, Transmission, etc that the majority of the others cannot. However, it can only use it's own official app, the manufacturers have stated that it is not compatible with any 3rd party apps, and seem to be defensive about reviews (E.G. having updated the product description to claim the negative reviews from when there was apparently some in-app purchase does not count). This worries me a bit since it seems like the majority of the cost is because of the app, and they are pretty adamant about locking you into it... which could be problematic if it's not that good. However, it does support features the others do not and in most lists that did mention it, it scored higher than the BAFX one, which usually came in second place compared to it.

Any suggestions? The BAFX one is considerably cheaper, but no official app and lack of ABS or additional statistics is a bit of a downer, but the BlueDriver one is considerably more expensive, and while it's app is apparently good... you would also be locked into it with no alternatives.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
if you need ABS, then the blue driver is the only way to go. I mean, the adapter is the same one wrapped up in a nicer case, higher cost, but what you really are paying for is the software.

if you are using it for anything else, it would be a waste to get anything other than the basic obd2 elm327 command protocol "cheap blue box" and use torque (lite) or buy the pro version.

20 is to much for one that is not using propitiatory software, there is NO way to justify that $20 over the ones that cost 3 dollars, or 5 dollars on ebay. they are the same thing.

here is an example if you are not in a rush, pick up a few of these, that's what I did, they work great:
link to cheap elm327 obd2 to bluetooth adapter

TRENDING THREADS