Sign in with
Your question

3.2 Ghz P4 or 1.66ghz Intel® Core(tm) Duo Processor T2300

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2006 7:59:50 PM

Which one is faster??? Im confused by this coz I was in MICRO CENTER the other day and I thought you only had to look at the processor core speed to know which one is faster/powerful. 8O
April 24, 2006 9:30:51 PM

WOW.... processor speed has little to do with performance... a 2GHz Amd will beat a 3GHz Prescott from Intel...

So... to answer your question the Core Duo will be faster, its dual core, and it has a WAY better marchitecture.
April 25, 2006 12:31:54 PM

:D  I think the dual architecture is more than enough to beat the p4 standard....

If it aint the core speed...then what are the primary reasons/specs we should look for?
Related resources
April 25, 2006 1:08:56 PM

Quote:
:D  I think the dual architecture is more than enough to beat the p4 standard....

If it aint the core speed...then what are the primary reasons/specs we should look for?

FSB speed, L2 cache, architecture, etc. The NetBurst architecture is designed for high clock speeds, but it produces a lot of heat, uses a lot of power, and is inefficient in general. But a Pentium 4 needs those super-high clock speeds to even compete with Athlon 64s.

The Core Duo is a laptop chip, so it runs cool and fast, even with a low clock speed. The Core Duo is actually two processors on one die, so you get a theoretical 3.2GHz (1.6x2). Just because there are two processors, you don't get a 100% boost in performance (I don't want to explain this), but since there are two cores, it's a lot better for multitasking.

Lastly, overclocked Core Duos are super fast.
April 25, 2006 1:48:26 PM

ducky-thanks for explaining... :D 

as you explained -looks like I was right to ask...<in my defense>

but I did come across articles that said duo core chips (same as dual core?desktop?) are good for multitasking (games not yet updated on this) - and yes they run cooler...
April 25, 2006 2:02:42 PM

Core Duo, offcourse:) 
!