New hardware activation

Mungaselli

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
I have a digital version of windows 10 and I have completely re-done my old build putting in new parts, only thing I did not change is my case, ssd and hdd. Whenever I go to troubleshoot and activate my windows through my windows profile it does not work. I get to the screen where it asks me to tick what device I am currently using and click activate but then it pops up with this:

"Unable to activate Windows
We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. "

Is this because the servers are busy or something, or will I just never be able to re-activate my windows through this method even though I should be able to?

Solution
Been there - Done that. My MD died and crippled my Boot OS SSD.
Replaced MB, CPU, and Ram. Kept PSU, GPU and all drives.
Was able to fix my Boot SSD and boot windows. All programs were OK and Office 13 Professional need to be reactivated (which it Did) But Windows 10 did the same thing.

Microsoft is VERY good about re-activating your windows 10.Called MS and they Not Only activated my copy but also Upgraded it from Home to Professional as I could not remember which version I had. ONLY problem was understanding the MS Tech (From India I'm guessing - LOLs).

USAFRet

Titan

I've had this happen.
Try again later. It will eventually go through. Or...call MS and talk to a human.

Been there - Done that. My MD died and crippled my Boot OS SSD.
Replaced MB, CPU, and Ram. Kept PSU, GPU and all drives.
Was able to fix my Boot SSD and boot windows. All programs were OK and Office 13 Professional need to be reactivated (which it Did) But Windows 10 did the same thing.

Microsoft is VERY good about re-activating your windows 10.Called MS and they Not Only activated my copy but also Upgraded it from Home to Professional as I could not remember which version I had. ONLY problem was understanding the MS Tech (From India I'm guessing - LOLs).

Solution

kane.pc

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

I came across this link when combing through Windows support pages. It's pretty buried but resolved my issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023300

From there, you'll find a link to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which should flag MS servers to allow reactivation. Good luck.