Safe Voltage for i7 7700k OC

dominic2005

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2016
Hiya guys and gals.

I've been playing around with Overlocking my CPU the last day or so, purely for exploratory reasons rather than long term use. Something I am not new too, but have not had much experience in.

First, my build:

Intel i7 7700k 4.2Ghz
Asus ROG Maximus IX Formula (Z270)
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB @3Ghz (2x16GB) (Red LED, not that it matters)
Corsair h100i v2 AIO Cooler.
InWin C900 PSU
2x Asus Strix GTX1080

I've been able to get the i7 upto 4.9GHz via a x49 multiplier and 1.375v.

At those settings it runs stable, The max I've seen the temps reach is dead on 80c, averaging around 60c at full load, idles at 28c-30c

My question is thus, I cannot for the life of my get it to run at 5Ghz. I've already taken the voltage up from 1.255 to 1.375 and I, due to my lack of experience, don't know how far I can safely crank up the voltage.

I know that increased voltage = increased heat, so temps are critical, but is that the only thing I should be aware of, or is there another danger with increasing the voltage.

I'd love to get it to run at 5Ghz stable...not for general day to day use, but just to, you know, to see if it will run at that speed...

You are probably at the limit for your chip.
Not all will do 5.0.

As of 6/9/17
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-7700K
4.9 83%
5.0 62%
5.1 29%
5.2 6%

I would leave it at 4.9
Implement speedstep and adaptive voltage.
That will reduce the multiplier and vcore when there is not much load.

dominic2005

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2016
Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure what speedstep is but I assume it is enabled as the CPU doesn't always run at full speed, but Adaptive Voltage has always been enabled. (I am using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility).

I did try 5Ghz @ 1.4v, and it accepted the setting but as soon as I started the benchmark tool after a second or two it BSOD'd. I've not tried any higher than 1.4v as I was always led to believe that even going above 1.3v is not a good idea.

I know the 7700k is capable of higher than 5Ghz as overclockers.co.uk retail a pre-binned 7700k at 5.2Ghz and they provide a warranty. I am guessing for 5Ghz + that is what is needed.

Guess I will turn my attention to my GTX1080 which so far I have had pretty much no luck with at all at getting anything more that 100Mhz OC on...

Pre binned means that each chip is tested for overclock capability and the better ones are sold for a price premium.
Also there are services for delidding which improves the thermal capacity of the chip.
But... delidding voids the intel warranty.
The statistics I listed came from silicon lottery which also does the same binning.
FWIW, a 5.2 7700K goes for $520.