Finding a job after college

imaginaryche

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I'm a recent grad from college having majored in Management Information systems. I had managed to get a 3.57 GPA (Cum Laude at my university). My problem though is I never gained any relevant work experience. I was wondering where I should start when it came to a job search. It seem like positions that are lower tier help desk type positions think I am over qualified, while any job above those thing i'm under-qualified. I've been looking for about three months now and was wondering if I could get any insight. Any is appreciated. Thanks.

Solution

Well that is also the case for mid-career level people like me who have lost jobs over the years. It's either over qualified or under qualified. Do you have a LinkedIn page? Also, join trade groups in your knowledge area. The more you network, the better your chances of getting a foot in the door. It's too late now, but did your university have intern programs? I did that when I was in college and it landed me my first job. Volunteering also helps if related to your...

Go to a random company and become the company's IT guy. Once you have enough experience and you want to move to something bigger go ahead. Just make sure you don't leave said company's IT in crumbles.

Well that is also the case for mid-career level people like me who have lost jobs over the years. It's either over qualified or under qualified. Do you have a LinkedIn page? Also, join trade groups in your knowledge area. The more you network, the better your chances of getting a foot in the door. It's too late now, but did your university have intern programs? I did that when I was in college and it landed me my first job. Volunteering also helps if related to your industry. For example, volunteer to assist a school or church in managing their IT department.

With that said, don't ever turn down a job you think might be beneath you. Once you get in the door and prove yourself to be a good asset in your role, you can move up from there. IT is still volatile to outsourcing however, so I'd keep as many broad ranged skills as possible. Specific skills. I see thousands of jobs for SAP software developers for example.

Oh and one more word of advice: find a company you WANT to work for, not just get a paycheck from. In interviews, hiring managers want to hear what you can do for them and why you want to work for them. They are not interested in candidates who just want a paycheck, and that is easily picked up on.

Solution
The process is easy but takes time...take the first job you can get regardless of what it is...don't leave it until you have another job to go to that is a step up in pay or responsibility. Continue that process until you are where you want to be...but I would suggest you never stop until you're ready for retirement. I retired at 48 after holding over 12 different jobs...everyone of them was a step up in pay from the previous or a move into a position of responsibility. Consider every new job as a way to expand your talents and increase your personal value. Also, and this is important, skip buying new cars and lots of vacations...invest your cash in any 401k you can or in an individual IRA and property if a 401k isn't an option...do not skip on savings no matter how bad you want something you don't really need.

yasirjamshaid

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
The problem which you are facing is, how to manage your field for work although you have gained your degree in management information systems but you do not have any relevant experience. I suggest you for doing a seeking for such a job which could be having your tendency for being a satisfied job holder. Otherwise you would just be searching and asking for the job or selection of your career.

jordanstar

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

start with searching some Internships in any company and try not to stick to that position for a long, try something else in a couple of years and then u'll understand what's interested you the most and can find relevant job