I'm torn between 27 inch CFG70 1080p Monitor and 43 inch MU7000 4k TV

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
I'm a console gamer, so I don't know if more than 60hz panel will make any difference for me. Also 1080p for 27 inch is a downgrade for me in terms of PPI. I would have gone with the TV but two things made my decision difficult...
First, the picture quality of the Quantum Dot panel with 125% sRGB, the feature that everyone is praising. However, the TV contrast ratio is roughly the double, 6362:1 according to rtings.com review and HDR at not bad brightness is a bonus. I would still assume the Quantum Dot will be better in term of overall picture quality and colors but how much better?!
Second, the monitor performance seems to be better with 1ms response time. I'm currently using S24D590L PLS monitor with 5ms response time and was coming from 1ms TN panel and I couldn't seem to differentiate between the two. I know my current tested response time should be higher than 5ms and the advertised specs isn't acurate. So I wonder if the tested value of 21ms on the TV will be much worse to tolerate. If yes then is there anything to do about it from the TV settings?!

This is the TV review
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu7000

I'm planning to use whichever I buy for console gaming (casual and story driven games), movies and for computer usage, browsing mainly.

Btw... I know about the new Chfg70 monitor that is newely released with HDR and 2K resolution. But it might never be available anytime soon and in addition to that, there is also the 2k resolution that seems dated and the HDR isn't better than that on a mid-range TV.

Solution
1) First of all, there's a massive difference in physical SIZE of those screens. You talk about PPI which is one factor but where the heck are you SITTING that 27" vs 43" is even an option?

2) Quantum Dot (the $500 monitor I assume?) mainly adds deeper blacks. It's not a good trade-off for resolution (or even cost) and HDR isn't much of a concern yet since there's very little content that supports it. Even then some of it didn't do a great job.

HDR will improve, but that's no reason to spend extra now.

3) AUDIO. Not all monitors even have speakers and/or an audio passthrough for the HDMI to connect the audio to desktop speakers.

So...

If you're primarily a CONSOLE gamer then I'd get a 4K HDTV. Get one that is appropriate to your...
1) First of all, there's a massive difference in physical SIZE of those screens. You talk about PPI which is one factor but where the heck are you SITTING that 27" vs 43" is even an option?

2) Quantum Dot (the $500 monitor I assume?) mainly adds deeper blacks. It's not a good trade-off for resolution (or even cost) and HDR isn't much of a concern yet since there's very little content that supports it. Even then some of it didn't do a great job.

HDR will improve, but that's no reason to spend extra now.

3) AUDIO. Not all monitors even have speakers and/or an audio passthrough for the HDMI to connect the audio to desktop speakers.

So...

If you're primarily a CONSOLE gamer then I'd get a 4K HDTV. Get one that is appropriate to your viewing distance.

4) Which HDTV?
Lots of pros and cons depending on your BUDGET, however you can Google to find ones with lower INPUT latency. Even then, you may have to enable the "GAMING MODE" for whatever HDMI input you choose so make sure you've got that all figured out.

5) AUDIO again:
As a console gamer, I'd get a suitable HDTV and then now or later get a nice SOUND BAR for it.

Solution
60Hz?
You are required to use 60Hz panels for game consoles. There are motion interpolation options up to 240Hz (so the screen is updating 240x per second) however they still take in the same 60Hz signal then create ARTIFICIAL, new frames.

Never, ever use this technology for games or movies (the HDTV can have it. just don't use it). For games it adds a lot of latency since it needs several frames first to analyze (to calculate acceleration deltas of pixels), and for movies the motion blur ends up all wrong in our brains (same applies for games too).

Motion blur when added to movies and games is based on the frame rate it's played back at. If it was 300FPS then we wouldn't need motion blur at all. Motion blur is created in our brains when we can't keep up with the information we are presented with. If it's slow enough (i.e. slide show) we can keep up.

For example, in a 24FPS movie we see a car moving. The producer would likely have set the camera to BLUR this the appropriate amount for 24FPS so it ends up looking comparable to real life. (sports events often just film without any such processing so when we create artificial frames via motion interpolation we simply get smoother motion. In fact, when we start saturating our brains with the added data we add our own motion blur like normal so it more closely approximates real life which again is converse to what happens to content with motion blur already added.)

What's funny is that people want 4K so their movies will be higher quality. Sharper! More pixels! But then we've been shown 48FPS films and people complained it looked "like a documentary" and it was "too clear". The reason for this is that again we add LESS BLURRING to content that is filmed at a higher frame rate. Of course this only affects things when they are MOVING which only affects video about 95% of the time.

So if I read correctly you have a tight budget in the $500 or so range. There will always be pros and cons.

Frankly, if you're sitting more than 2x the HDTV's diagonal I'd get a normal 1080p HDTV. You can probably get a higher quality 1080p panel for the same money, and 4K requires you to sit close enough (about 1.5x the HDTV diagonal or closer based on pixel resolution but it also depends on the video processor and other factors) otherwise you don't benefit.

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Thanks for your contribution...

1) I'm aware of the size difference and have arrangement for both sizes. Also I mentioned the PPI downgrade because I'm currently using a 24 inch 1080p, and planning to use the same spot to view the 27 inch, this I should've added to clear the confusion.

2) I added the exact monitor model because it isn't the only Quantum Dot monitor. Prices vary from place to another but It's $400 @ Amazon.com.

3) Sound isn't an issue for the monitor. It supports 3.5mm headphone jack. The TV however will require a digital to analog adapter, still not a problem.

4) I listed the exact model in my post title, and added a link to the review I got the info from. Here it is again...
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu7000

5) My desktop subwoofer is doing great. I connect my PS4 from the monitor headphone output to the input port on my sound card, no need to bother with cables.

- Thanks for explaining more about the motion blur and if I understood correctly you're saying that it's a framerate thing. But Samsung feature showing that it's affected by both refresh rate and response time. This confused me a bit. Also I'm not planning to get anything below 60hz --even if it was a TV with all the feature I want-- this would be the deal breaker for me. About the motion interpolation option, It seems to fix the motion blur and add flickering. I don't know about flickering, never noticed one in my life, but I know that I hate motion blur sickness.
- High quality 1080p TV's are a thing of the past (at least in the Middle-East; where I live.) and even if they exist, I don't see why I would get a 1080p TV over a 1080p monitor. 4K in a TV or a large monitor would be a must to me because of the extra real-state--the space to work on the screen--it will provide over the 1080p.

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

I know it's a risk but what isn't these days. Plus my current monitor had even more bad reviews and still I had no issues with it within 13 months so far working 18 hours a day.

Hyp3rDeath

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

The C27FG70 has a really bad ghosting...
Go for the C27FG73.
This model solves the ghosting ;)

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

The newer revisions of the 70 that came in 2017 seem to solve this. Also, the 73 still had the same problems for some and for others it was replaced by other problems. The main difference between the two was the G-Sync implementation on the 73 model. Anyway, the 73 isn't an option for me as it's not available and according to detailed reviews of performance the 70 is recommended even for console gamers who are capped at 60hz. There is a link below to one of these reviews....
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c24fg70/

Hyp3rDeath

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

The chance you will get a model which was made after febuary is small...
Also there's no GSync in the C27FG73.

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Actually the chances that I'll get a newer version is pretty good as it was officially released by Samsung to my country in late May 2017. So, unless Samsung want to ship deficit versions overseas and bear the cost of returns, re-ship and restock, they probably will ship the most recent version with no issues. And even if I didn't get newer version, still there is a chance I'll get a good unit. If I didn't then it's their problem since I'll test it throughly the day I purchase it and I have 14 days to exchange or refund. It's a hassle I hope I won't have to deal with but the option is there...
And sorry about the G-Sync I must've confused it with rumors about newer models.

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Okay for me the decision was made to either buy the monitor (if I have too) or not buy any Samsung product ever again. This fraud company who market their products with the same model number and sell completely different crap for the same price. They use the same MU7000 model number -that is everywhere advertised and reviewed to be 60hz panel- to sell a 50hz panel with less features for the same price. I'm glad I didn't fall for their cheap trick and in the future, whenever I can, will avoid their products.