why cannot show full HD resolution

thanhduy

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Hi guys, I follow google to here where i found some suggestions for my issue.

I have a new monitor Dell U2417h and a graphics vga card Geforce GTX 650
But after i installed driver for the GTX 650, it only show the resolution 1024x768,
And in the Screen Resolution also shows the same and display shows that Generic Non PnP Monitor.

I have tried both HDMI and DVI Cable but they dont work
I dont know what to do know.

Please help me out with this issue.

Thank you very much!
Duy

Solution
To install a device driver (.inf file), you have to go into the device manager, right-click on the device you want to install the driver for, then click "update driver" (if that doesn't show, right-click -> properties -> driver -> update driver will do the trick).
A driver installation wizard will open. If you got the .inf file saved locally on your PC, don't click the "automatically search for driver" button, but click "search on this computer". It will then ask you to either specify a folder in which the PC shall search or to select from a list of installed drivers. Choose the latter.
Now, a list of manufacturers and devices will open that shows all the insalled device drivers. On the bottom right of that window, there should be a...

thanhduy

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I have tried both of your ways Kenton82 & ZRace. But it seems like nothing at all 1. it not detect any else monitors. 2. I have downloaded and installed driver from Dell, but a message showed that please plug the monitor in. seem like it not recognize the monitor.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Okay, that is very strange.

First, you might want to check in the Windows device manager (assuming you're on Windows) whether your GPU shows up named properly and isn't shown as "generic/standard VGA adapter" or something similar.

Second, I'd remove the graphics drivers with DDU uninstaller, then download the newest graphics driver for your GPU directly from Nvidia and install those.

Perhaps something just went wrong when you installed the graphics drivers.

Kenton82

Reputable
Yes, make sure the default GPU is your Card, not the on board graphics - this is the next important step! It COULD also be a fault with the GTX 650 itself, but we shall leave that as a very last resort.
Has this PC ever had another GPU installed before? Or is this the first time it has been upgraded?

thanhduy

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Hi there,
ZRace i have tried your instruction but not working.

Kenton82, this is the first i use GPU on my mainboard, any instruction?

Thanks you guys

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Additional to the above, if the GTX 650 isn't the default GPU, the setting to change it will probably be found in the BIOS of your PC ;)

Also, you said reinstalling drivers didn't work, but you didn't tell us under what name the GPU shows up in the device manager!

thanhduy

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Yes, in the device manager, there are:
1. Display adapter shows NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650
2. Monitors shows Generic Not PnP Monitor

I found that the problem seems like from My Dell U2417h, because i tried to remove the GPU, and connect it with the mainboard or tried to connect with the laptop, it shows nothing. But iam wondering that before getting the GPU, it connected with the mainboard thru HDMI perfectly with FULL HD resolution.

Now that...

I think i should bring My Dell U2417h to the Dell center for warranty.

Will update to you when i solve this issue.

If you, guys have other solution, please feel free help me out by replying here.

I really appreciate all of that.

Thank you so much!
Duy

thanhduy

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Mr ZRace and Kenton 82,

Do you know to install the .INF File, iam trying to install the INF file of Dell U2417H to the window but i dont know how to do.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
To install a device driver (.inf file), you have to go into the device manager, right-click on the device you want to install the driver for, then click "update driver" (if that doesn't show, right-click -> properties -> driver -> update driver will do the trick).
A driver installation wizard will open. If you got the .inf file saved locally on your PC, don't click the "automatically search for driver" button, but click "search on this computer". It will then ask you to either specify a folder in which the PC shall search or to select from a list of installed drivers. Choose the latter.
Now, a list of manufacturers and devices will open that shows all the insalled device drivers. On the bottom right of that window, there should be a button called "data medium" or similar. Click that one.
You will now be asked to specify a path to the .inf file you want to use. Select the .inf file you want to install for the chosen device (in this case your monitor), and Windows will try to install that driver. It will notify you after the installation either failed or succeeded ;)

Some buttons may have slughtly different names, I'm not a native english speaker and thus don't use Windows in english :p

Solution