Recently Laid Off. Ways to gain IT Experience While I Have the Time?

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hey all,

As I state in the title, I was recently laid off. I live in a state in the U.S. that isn't exactly financially responsible and as such the agency I work for has cut a bunch of jobs. As unfortunate as this is, the upside is that I now have time to focus on school and possibly gain some experience in IT, whereas before I was more constrained. I'm trying to work out an internship, but as me getting laid off is so close to the beginning of Fall semester I fear that might not be possible as almost all programs will surely be filled by now.

So, I ask the community, do any of you have any good ideas on ways to gain some experience in a professional setting? Perhaps a part time just doing repairs? Volunteer opportunities? I'm new to all of this so I thought people with more experience may have some good input. My main areas of focus are Networking and Security, if that helps at all.

Thanks all!

Solution
So, then any large office with a small or large IT staff should work. You'll have a better shot at of landing an internship if you hoof it and knock on doors. Rather than trying to find an internship program for IT. As an intern a manager will be more willing to add you to the staff. As, you will cost little or nothing.

Being pushy helps. It takes guts and drive to walk into an office to push for a job. Even if it is just an internship. Managers respect that more. Ask to speak to the manager. If they are busy, wait. If they are still busy. Wait some more.

If it is an office where internships are common (law, medicine). The employer may be more willing. As they had to get an internship at one time.

Oh, and wear a tie.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not give up on internships. Make the applicable organizations aware of your interest and abilities. Someone else already accepted may change their mind or otherwise not work out as expected.

Start applying for IT positions that you feel qualified for and believe that you can truly do the required work.

You might find an opportunity via part-time, entry level work aka "Helpdesk". Grueling and mind-numbing but could well lead to other opportunities. Proverbial "foot in the door".

And the application process will help you get a sense of the IT skills being sought in your area.

Do as much hands on work as you can via your own home systems and network. Scrounge around for old components and systems to use and experiment with. Read User Guides and Manuals, "How to's", and peruse forms such as Tom's Hardware.

Be willing to relocate if at all possible.

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Thanks so much for the reply. I've been looking around everywhere and I think I've found a good Co-opt program with a laboratory in my area. I'd be able to work part time there while im in school and the work would count towards internship credits with the college. Hopefully it pans out. I'm also thinking about checking out part time help desk positions or just seeing if I can get a part time at a TigerDirect or MicroCenter doing PC builds/Repairs for customers.

The service desk at some store won't give you much experience in your area of interest. You'd get more experience as an installer for a cable or fiber optic company.

As for internships. Hit up every decent sized law firm, medical practice, accounting firm, software coder, web devolper, architectural firm, media outlet or any other business with a lot of computer and office workers. Large enough for a small IT staff.

I'm sure one of them will be happy to take on a free or really cheap intern. I don't know what requirements your college has for work to qualify as an internship.

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Basically the only requirement is that I do about 15 hours worth of work per week. That's really it.

So, then any large office with a small or large IT staff should work. You'll have a better shot at of landing an internship if you hoof it and knock on doors. Rather than trying to find an internship program for IT. As an intern a manager will be more willing to add you to the staff. As, you will cost little or nothing.

Being pushy helps. It takes guts and drive to walk into an office to push for a job. Even if it is just an internship. Managers respect that more. Ask to speak to the manager. If they are busy, wait. If they are still busy. Wait some more.

If it is an office where internships are common (law, medicine). The employer may be more willing. As they had to get an internship at one time.

Oh, and wear a tie.

Solution