First build, computer wont boot (please reply fast)

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I have the mobo, cpu, ram, and graphics card. I don't know if I need more than that to get into bios (all I want to do is see if everything is working),l even tried a different monitor I just don't know what to do.

PS my whole system when its done will take 328 watts and my psu is max 450 watt.

No you shouldn't need more then that just to get into the BIOS.

However, if you can give us a parts list. We can give you some recommendations.

For starters. I never recommend less then a 750wt PSU. While a 450wt may work. It wont be at optimal wattage ranges for that level of PSU. Plus it limits your upgrade options.

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

it just gives me a blackscreen
part list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NtYyzM

Yes we need full parts list because we have no idea what parts you have to know if you have potential incompatibilities.

Now the suggestion of a 750w PSU with no knowledge of system specs is completely misguided.
Even overclock systems with a GTX 1060 run efficiently on a quality 650w PSU, key word being quality.
Too much wattage can actually be a bad thing in the way of inefficiency. When you start getting down to 10-15% draw on the PSU your efficiency level drops and so you could actually use more power to make 100w on say an 850w PSU then on a 550w PSU.
Typically, the poeple buying 750w PSUs for a 300w systems are buying cheapo 750w psus, the kind that cant even safely output 450w and when (not if, but when) they die they take out your GPU and motherbaord with it.

It is not miss guided at all. he listed a 450wt PSU and I suggested no less then a 750wt to provide him with room for upgrades. It also provides a more efficient power curve.

You never want to be near your max with a PSU to get the most efficiency out of it.

A lot of vendor even suggest that a PSU's most efficient point is at it's half way mark while under full load.

This is why I run a 1000wt PSU for a system that only requires about 700wt under full load.

So purchasing a 750wt would allow him to obtain a more efficient power mark while leaving him with room to expand.

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I only have one firnd that has a desktop and he freaked out when I asked him if I can go into the bios to help him overcclock

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

if the fans on my card are working does that mean its working?

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

my mobo cant take any other cpu that I want so this is the only cpu and graphics card for the mobo plus I cant overclock so I'm not going to expand.

Sedivy

Estimable
Well, if your friend has a comparable system, you can swap the psu too (do not do this if he has a lot beefier system that needs more wattage than your psu can supply). Cpu and mobo are a little harder to test individually as they have to be compatible with whatever other cpu/mobo you're testing with. This is best done in a repair shop where they have ready at hand components they can swap in/out to check what's dead.

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

i took off the cpu cooler and could feel heat coming off the cpu, does that answer anything?

Sedivy

Estimable
Don't...yeah trying to run the system with cooler off is=frying your cpu in minutes if not seconds. Do not do that. Hopefully it initiated auto shutdown before that happened. Re-mount the cooler. Make sure you don't use too much (or too little) thermal paste. Make sure it's firmly seated and all the screws fastened (but not overly tightened).

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

is there any way to tell if its fried?

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

the only computer place other than like att, sprint, verison, ect stores would be like bestbuy. would they do that?

Sedivy

Estimable
I...guess it depends on the bestbuy. Sometimes they have tech support help desks that might provide that service but as bestbuy tends to sell pre-made PCs and parts, but does not assemble computers out of parts entirely chosen by the customer, I suspect not.

Teach-Tech-Talk

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

i got the new psu but still nothing

link - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182358&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

As I stated before. If you are not getting post and we ruled out PSU and GPU. The issue seems to point to CPU.

I dont know your system specs but you could try using another GPU to test or using on board GPU if you have one. If you ruled out GPU, start looking into the CPU. At very least you should be using POST on the screen.