MOUNTVOL "The parameter is incorrect."

Running Windows 10 1703. I am trying to make a .bat to dismount and another .bat to remount. I cant get MOUNTVOL to mount and assign a drive letter.

MOUNTVOL F: /P
Works

MOUNTVOL F: \\?\Volume{229DC16C-D60F-11E6-BFB2-D05099530E5F}\
The parameter is incorrect.

Why am I getting this error? Is there another way I can mount in cmd based on uniqueid?

Solution
Thanks for the response Colif. I used to have these commands in a bat file when my computer was running an older version of windows 10. I used it to disconnect and reconnect all internal drives on a regular basis and it worked fine. It only stopped working after 1703 as far as i'm aware. I haven't used the bat file in a while, but I confirmed the commands were correct. They won't work when manually typed either. Just using regular command prompt with admin on win 10 pro.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thanks for the response Colif. I used to have these commands in a bat file when my computer was running an older version of windows 10. I used it to disconnect and reconnect all internal drives on a regular basis and it worked fine. It only stopped working after 1703 as far as i'm aware. I haven't used the bat file in a while, but I confirmed the commands were correct. They won't work when manually typed either. Just using regular command prompt with admin on win 10 pro.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would be tempted to ask on Superuser or tenforums, more Windows users on both... not saying no one knows it here but you may get answer faster on there.

Creators edition broke a few things, debugger doesn't cope with it very well, so less used commands are probably just as bad.

If either can help, show us answer so others can know as well :)

julian.poyntz

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
I have just had this myself as I use it for a monthly / weekly robocopy routine in an attempt to deal with rasonsomware (dismount drives, bitlockered - does not know it is there and then copy)

anyway, found it had stopped working for me too
I could mount the volume via disk manager
once mounted I then ran a "mountvol <drive letter> /P"
This then in mountvol gave me the message about needing to create a mount point
I then went back to disk manager, assigned it back to the drive letter
For now I can use mountvol to mount / unmount the volume