No display on monitor but works on tv

Avicopter

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
I just built my new PC, I had it in the tv because that made the display show up, downloaded windows, blah blah blah, but it doesn't show up on my monitor which I want it to. It's shown up like 2 or 3 times but then after a while it turns off. I think it might be that I'm using a placeholder monitor from my friend and it's a VGA so I used a VGA to HDMI adapter to plug into my GPU, but it doesn't show up. It's only done it like once or twice. Please help me somebody

Solution
Depending on your spec of your graphics card. I Had a similar issue bought adaptors and still nothing. The problem like mines could lay with a resolution issue and monitor.

For example I built a new build which would only display on my TV hdmi but my other monitors /VGA and small TV /hdmi would not.

It's an issue to do with voltage and detection aswell as resolution. Try some settings on your monitor if it allows you to switch in the end up I had to buy a new hdmi monitor .
Sounds like a crappy adapter then. If it works going straight HDMI to the TV, but flickers and goes out with the same GPU port, same HDMI cable, but into the adapter, then the adapter would seem to be at blame. Going from HDMI to VGA isn't a simple thing like DVI-D to HDMI or Displayport to HDMI, which are already digital signals. You need a GOOD HDMI to VGA adapter to convert the digital HDMI signal to the analog VGA signal. Cheap ones will give you cheap results.

gingerbeer100

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Depending on your spec of your graphics card. I Had a similar issue bought adaptors and still nothing. The problem like mines could lay with a resolution issue and monitor.

For example I built a new build which would only display on my TV hdmi but my other monitors /VGA and small TV /hdmi would not.

It's an issue to do with voltage and detection aswell as resolution. Try some settings on your monitor if it allows you to switch in the end up I had to buy a new hdmi monitor .

Solution

Avicopter

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

What settings?

gingerbeer100

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Your monitor might be able to change its input by pressing the buttons on it or by remote. It might be set to dvi instead of hdmi for example.