Will a cheap Dvi-D to VGA Active converter work just as well?

In general, none of the readily available converters will have as good analog picture quality as a video card made to sell for hundreds of dollars. Exacerbating the problem is most people are pushing near the very limit of VGA itself at 1080p resolution so the image may appear a bit soft. The only way to find if it is acceptable to you is to try it.

All I can suggest is to make sure any adapter you buy has a power input jack (usually USB) because the circuit to read EDID from the monitor is only speced to supply 0.5w, which is usually not enough to make the adapter work. That adapter does not claim to have one or show it in the picture.

Back in the day, nVidia cards did have the worst analog video quality compared to all of its contemporaries: Matrox, ATI and even 3DFx.

Shadow777

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Ive always used vga to vga connections if that helps so i suppose i wont be seeing any image degradation? Since i have never experienced dvi - hdmi digital connections image quality, at least in my own desktop, besides most of the reviews on the page are positive and claims that it works