Task Manager opens and closes

blade2697

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
Hey, I recently had an issue with a Virus and as far as I'm aware, I have gotten rid of the virus. I cannot open Task Manager now for some reason. It opens for about 1 second then closes immediately. I have tried the regedit thing where you create a new 32 bit DWORD, I have also tried the group policy editor. I am running Win 10. Thank you in advance

- Nick

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
this happens in safemode too?
i assume you have tried all the ways to open taskmanager, you have used antivirus AND anti-malware, not just 1 program right?
there could be some corruption with the taskmanager file itself? but more likely something a virus would do, to stop you force closing it.

if you truely believe your computer is safe now, you could repair using your recovery cd/usb/floppy. i dont reccomend over-writing the taskmanager file with a cpoy from a friend (as this could also cause some problems).

blade2697

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013

Ya I'm fairly certain I've gotten everything off. I used this guide "https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-svcvmx.exe-trojan". Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna try to recover now.

blade2697

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013

I haven't tried in Safe Mode. Completely forgot about it, Hold on I'll do that and reply here with more info

UPDATE: I restarted in Safe Mode and it still won't open. Thoughts?