Blue screens and freezing help

SBAlff

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Recently the PC has just started freezing on me and I have to hold the power button down to turn it off. This normally happens shortly after booting up and logging in on the desktop. Because the PC freezes I dont have any minidump files to look at however one crash did lead to a blue screen with the error message system_service_exception. It then froze on the blue screen unfortunately at 0% progress. I know I have quite a few updates to do but I can't do them because the PC just freezes.
The only hardware change I have had was a day or two before the freezing I started switching between ethernet and a USB dongle which I hadn't used for a while. I never had these problems before beginning to use it so I took out the dongle but the PC still freezes.
I have had RAM problems in the past which were fixed by putting my RAM stick in a different slot on the motherboard so there could be a potential issue there.
However I'm hoping that doing all the updates will fix this so how can I do the updates when the PC freezes before I can do them?

SBAlff

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
I just got another blue screen that froze at 0% saying memory_management. I have a gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 motherboard, AMD A8 6600k processor, XFX R9 280X GPU, One 8GB RAM stick(unsure on brand), a 1TB hard drive thats almost full and a Samsung 850 evo ssd. Its all old but none of it too old I dont think?
I know that there are definitely i think 3 or 4 updates available for my BIOS but I don't want to mess around with the BIOS as it kind of intimidates me and its probably unwise to risk updating it while my PC is freezing on me whenever it feels like it.
I did just manage to get an update through windows update done and a graphics card drivers update done and got 80% through an antivirus scan before it froze with no threats found. I'm running an SFC scan now but unsure what its supposed to do? Kind of leaning towards broken RAM stick or slot?

SBAlff

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Update
Did the sfc scan and no problems were found. Also did a system restore to a few days before the issues and the pc still freezes. Unfortunately still no dump files as it always freezes at 0% if it makes it to a blue screen.
I am planning on mix and matching parts with my sister's PC to try and find the issue. Is there anything I should be aware of before I do this or any way I could damage her PC parts?