Windows 10 Buffer Wheel Appears Twice on Startup.

MartinEggman

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Upon switching on my PC the boot process goes smooth up until the Windows Logo screen with the buffer wheel icon, It buffers once normally then the screen goes black for a split second and the same screen comes back and turns slightly slower and maybe looks lower res but that could be my eyes. This had only started happening In the last few weeks but haven't had time to look Into It. Possible Windows 10 update may have caused this I don't know but It's not normal.

Any Ideas? Thanks.

Creators update was released not to long ago. A lot of machines that have been holding off on the patch are getting it automatically installed now. So yeah, that could be the case.

Recheck for further Windows updates. There could still be a few more pending which may including twecks to the previous patches.

Ok then that should be just fine.

Another thing I've seen cause this issue is temp caching up windows update files.

Download program ccleaner and run both the primary scan and registry scans. It should clear out all those files and maybe return your booting back to normal.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check startup folders, processes etc. With windows 10 and CE comes a passle of junk most never use, like Cortana, but gets started anyways. My guess is that there's programs, even stuff like the MS store apps, that'll be loading too.

I found this neat little program called WinAero that'll turn off a lot of that stuff, without having to Google exactly what switch is where, since MS doesn't want you to turn off MS store.

A few things you can try before hand is the following just. Should be pretty quick.

in RUN type in MSCONFIG. In services select "hide all Microsoft services" then hit "disable all" also in startup manually disable everything from starting up. Try to reboot and see if that helped at all. If it did, there might be a service causing your long startups. Enable one at a time until you find the one causing the issues.

You can also try running CMD as administrator and running command sfc /scannow Does it report it found any violations or was the scan clean? Was SFC automatically able to check the errors or not?

meandor.schleicher

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
That's what I did. As well as sfc /scannow. I already tried to repair the image and the script you can download for windows.
EDIT: Maybe it's driver related. I remove the GPU fully and reinstall the driver. Maybe it helps.
Update: GPU driver is not faulty. Annoying.

meandor.schleicher

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
Disable hibernation! cmd (as admin) powercfg /h off
It solved my problem. I didn't think about this because my hibernation should be disabled anyway. Now I've got 30GB more space and my system boots in 28 instead of 55 seconds.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hibernation is a process that uses Hyberfil.sys. As does Fastboot. Of the 2, it's almost always Fastboot where the problems lie. When you shut the pc down, windows, through Hyberfil.sys, saves all the drivers etc that's currently loaded in the system ram to the storage, under Fastboot. When you turn on the pc, windows Fastboot grabs all those drivers back. If there's a corrupted, out of date coded, conflicted driver in that batch, it gets returned as is, and you got issues. If, for any reason, the pc gets hung, restarted, rebooted before windows fully loads, it'll restart but as a Cold boot, which does not simply return the Fastboot drivers, but instead loads all the necessary drivers from scratch. Consequently your startup goes from 20 odd seconds, to 50 odd.

The gimmick of it all is that disabling hibernation does nothing for Hyberfil.sys, it still functions, just as disabling Fastboot doesn't affect Hyberfil.sys. And windows will get sneaky at times and re-enable them with power setting changes or updates, as it sees them as optimum settings.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html
The only way to prevent this is delete Hyberfil.sys permanently. Works for any windows platform.

Oh, and Hyberfil.sys apportions 75% of your total ram size from C drive, as unusable, so if you have 16Gb of ram, you loose @12Gb of your C drive. Deleting Hyberfil.sys means windows will no longer need to do that, so you get back what was stolen. This is of real importance to those using smaller SSDs like 120Gb, with 16Gb or more ram. If you have a 120Gb ssd and run 32Gb of ram, that's 24Gb of SSD space stolen and unusable.