What happens if I go over 144 fps on a 144hz monitor?

ddogg26

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
A lot of people ask what happens if you don't meet 144 fps on a 144hz monitor, but i won't have that problem.

So, what were to happen if, lets say, i got 250 fps on a 144hz monitor?

Would ghosting or tearing occur?

Solution
Depends, are you using gsync or freesync at all?

It all depends on the game and the monitor. There are times you can go over 144fps on a 144 herts monitor and nothing will happen. It really depends on how the game displays the image.

I have a 144hert monitor and only issue I ever had with any games was on CS:GO with over 250fps. For some reason in that game I wouldn't get ghosting or tearing but get display lag. I changed in console max_fps 144 and ever since then its been smooth as butter.

I've played a few other games that went over 144fps and didn't have those issues.

So long story short. If you see tearing or ghosting. Turn on Vsync, gysync etc... or set a max fps limit within the game or video control panel if possible.

But...
Depends, are you using gsync or freesync at all?

It all depends on the game and the monitor. There are times you can go over 144fps on a 144 herts monitor and nothing will happen. It really depends on how the game displays the image.

I have a 144hert monitor and only issue I ever had with any games was on CS:GO with over 250fps. For some reason in that game I wouldn't get ghosting or tearing but get display lag. I changed in console max_fps 144 and ever since then its been smooth as butter.

I've played a few other games that went over 144fps and didn't have those issues.

So long story short. If you see tearing or ghosting. Turn on Vsync, gysync etc... or set a max fps limit within the game or video control panel if possible.

But for the most part. You should be OK.

Solution

ddogg26

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017

Ok, thanks :D I'm going to be shooting for a monitor with free-sync to avoid any issues like that, because i get over 250 fps consistently on CS:GO. G-Sync is far too expensive.

Just remember that it also depends on the GPU you are using. Freesync is for AMD and GSync is Nvida.

I have both Freesync and Gsync systems and it works great.

For CS:GO try what I said also about adding the command in console to set fps to the same as your monitor herts. It should help.

ddogg26

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017

Can I use freesync with my gtx 1060?

ddogg26

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017

Ok, so that really sucks. G-Sync is just way out of my budget. Would limiting CS:GO to 145 frames, like you said, fix any ghosting, tearing, or input lag?

The AOC monitor I linked above is basically the same cost in Freesync version as well. This is newer tech so both will be fairly expensive.

But yes setting your CS:GO fps to match your current monitors refresh rate should fix the problem. Give it a try.

Just one thing to note, you may have to run the command every time you launch CS. I tried to edit the config files to make the command stay, it only lasted until they updated the game and it blew out my settings.

I believe the command is "max_fps #"