Cant run 3rd party Anti virus software

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,
I have an Asus X751L laptop that has been running Windows 10 1703 (v15063.483) for a while now with no problems then one day I turned it on and it kept freezing on the desktop, cut a long story short it was Avast free, so I uninstalled it and installed AVG free, the same thing happened.

With Avast or AVG installed the desktop loads very slowly, you cannot open any program at all and if you click on the Avast or AVG icon I get a message saying this program cannot open, like a fool I didnt note down the exact message.......

So I uninstalled AVG and enabled Windows Defender and the PC runs fine, but I would prefer to have either Avast or AVG running.

I used the Avast and AVG uninstall tools to remove both AV's completely

Any suggestions?
Thanks

I use the built in Windows Defender, it works fine. Last year I bought Kaspersky Total Security 2017 but I only used it for about two months and I took it off because I really think that Windows Defender does the best job.

Yes buy the premium version of Malwarebytes and use that. I always have Malwarebytes installed and running on my system.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't have 2 AV running at same time anyway. Yes, I know defender can be set to occasionally scan if you have another installed but you don't need it.

I prefer paid AV over a scan that runs when it wants to. And the one I use has way better detection scores than defender so I stick with it (also have 1 1/2 years sub left so there is that as well)

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
getting the paid Malwarebytes is a solution I guess but even if that installs and works fine I'm still concerned that something is stopping Avast and AVG from running. I would prefer to ultimately resolve the problem fully

Colif - Malwarebytes can run alongside an AV fine
BringerofTea - I've used free AV's for years on many PC's and rarely had an issue, the removal tools have always sorted any major problems out for me

Colif

Win 11 Master
Bitdefender (what I use) blocks malwarebytes from updating or even installing - you can do it by disabling bitdefender to install it but its not worth my time. I use adwcleaner which malwarebytes own anyway for a 2nd opinion on anything that gets through

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I too used Bitdefender Free for the past 4 months, and happy with it. Kaspersky also have their free av as well.