G Sync IPS 4K 60 Hz panel in comparison with 4K TN Panel ?

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
i have been using the Asus PB287Q 28 inches 4K 60 Hz TN panel for almost a year, it is basically one of the cheapest decent 4K monitors, it is a TN panel so it has viewing angles,, in a few days in my local computer market ROG Swift PG27AQ is coming its a GSYNC IPS 4k 60 hz monitor and its price range is with in my budget ... would there be a lot of difference in the quality of both the screens ? should i go for it because ips screen seem so clear .. please i need some advice

Only YOU can determine if the quality difference is worth it. My dad has a TN panel and it looks pretty good. Not quite as good as my IPS but not far off. I've seen other TN panels that looked horrible so... ?

Frankly, since this sounds like it's for gaming I'd go with a 2560x1440, 144Hz, IPS monitor instead. I'd rather have the higher refresh rate than the higher pixel count. In fact, some programs don't scale well at 4K.

*I assume you're at 60Hz?
Just asking because the monitor you have defaults to 30Hz until you enable DP1.2 in the settings.

There's also a feature called "VividText" that oversharpens. You should likely turn that on, but experiment with cleartype if you see purple tinges or other text abnormalities; just type cleartype into search. (I'm also guessing you should use about 150% DPI Scaling for 4K)

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Not a quality difference that would be worth the money in my opinion, what is wrong with your current 4k monitor? Do you need a second 4k monitor for productivity or something? If so it might look odd having an IPS and TN right next to each other.

If this is for gaming I agree with photon boy I would rather have a good 1440p 144hz monitor than any 4k 60hz monitor.

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Guys i know it would seem odd but i would rather choose the lower refresh rate and higher pixels, i know it seems strange but its true ... as far me having an ips 4k next to a tn 4k as a dual monitor setup, i only play games or watch movies on one ... the secondary monitor is soley for multitasking ... as far as me choosing to buy this expensive gsync screen is because my friend has the same monitor as i which is a 4k TN panel but his secodary screen is a small 1080p ips screen, and difference in clarity and picture quality is soo much that the small ips screen which is almost less than half of the price of the TN panel but its quality seems soo much better