Why do people still choose intel over ryzen?

Studoss

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Im so confused, Why is it that whenever i go on Pcpartpicker, the newest builds mostly use intel cpu's. I just dont understand. Ryzen is proven to be better overall(multi performance, price, unlocked) I just dont know why people still choose Intel if Ryzen is best overall.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Because all depends on how and what are you going to do with your PC
For example Ryzen is great for content creators like rendering, Intel core i7 7700k Is the king of Gaming CPU's

Studoss

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

But ryzen is still rly gud for gaming, and its much cheaper! plus more cores!

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Like I said if you want to be the best at gaming get those extra frames per second and have the fastest Gaming desktop around then you get the i7 7700K. Now if you are ok with just been good for gaming but want to save some money and want to have way better multitasking power then the Rayzen R5 1600X is your best bet. Intel's IPC is better than AMD (core per core) and the i7 can be overclocked to 5Ghz that means core per core Intel's i7 7700K leads by 25% and the i7 7740X by 29% vs the 1800X at single core performance

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Actually that's not the case, the new i7 7740X leads by 29% single core speed (after been overclocked) over the R7 1800X(after been overclocked)

It depends on what you're doing. Not everything is gaming or rendering, if using something like photoshop then an i5 makes perfect sense. Especially if it's overclocked. The hyper threading won't make a huge difference, nor will excessive cores. If there were a one size fits all cpu then the companies would make 1 cpu. It's important to know what your needs are and build around that, not what everyone else is building. Cad can be the same way depending how you use it, not all cad operations require high core counts and instead prefer higher speed and ipc. Even though ryzen has made progress they're still lacking in both those areas.

Not everyone games and not everyone edits videos or streams. Many people go to higher core counts for gaming and streaming but the truth is, typically if someone is serious they'll have a dedicated pc next to their gaming pc for video capture and streaming so as not to affect their game. To that end, not everyone that streams needs an 8c cpu.

Many people may have avoided ryzen based on initial issues, things like clock speed limitations when overclocking (still persistent as far as I know), memory support, hoping for game optimizations or other software optimizations, hoping for bios updates to improve memory compatibility. Things like choosing the proper ram, filling all memory banks with either single or dual rank memory, it's finicky compared to intel. Doesn't mean it's impossible or doesn't work, just that it's an additional headache. Intel systems you can pretty much slap high speed ddr4 in and go, even with all 4 ram slots filled.

That also doesn't account for people who just have a preference of brand and won't bother with amd no matter what. To each their own, it's their system and their money paying for it, no one has to agree with their choices.

For me I have always stuck with Intel for my personal machines although I have built AMD systems for others in the past if they wanted them due to various reasons.

Personally I never liked dealing with the headaches associated with AMD machines over the years so I stay far away for my personal use.

Reasons may vary for others, but these are mine.

Its so odd that this question and theme still abounds over intel v AMD... With the release of Ryzen it seems that a fair few have lost objectivity. It's like AMD has become there best friend, paying there bills, taking them to the movies, tucking them into bed and reading bed time stories on the ever so bad wolf called Intel..just a wake up call, AMD are after your money, no different to Intel. They are only in this business to make money for there shareholders, the same as Intel. The only reason Intel has had the field to itself is because AMD have not had a decent CPU for years...I should know as I enjoyed the Athlon when it came out many years ago. This is a business to both companies and they will both stoop to any level to get your business. The good news is that AMD finally have a product that matches Intel across many price points...Which means we finally have competition...Good for us the consumer. This means Intel will have to start competing again. If you are a hard core gamer and can afford it, you go for the best gaming CPU, same goes for productivity and anything in between. If someone buys Intel, that does not make him/her stupid, it's just that they are more comfortable for a variety of reasons with that choice, same goes for AMD...nothing more. It's amazing that you personally feel so bad because so many people are building Intel based machines...Unbelievable...

sleyvas

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
What about the AMD Vs Intel trade agreement that Intel screwed over AMD over ? I agree with your overall statement vMax. I would add though there is not downside for standing up for what you believe in. I am 33 years old and i started gaming late. I've had 3 rigs. 1 Intel ( my first ), 2 AMD. I have always liked AMD. I am a team red guy... even though i prefer blue( the color lol ) more. Now, i bought AMD the first time out of ignorance. I had no idea, to be honest... i thought AMD and Intel were just the same company. LOL. Now fast forward, after reading Intel's business model, and reactions in the past out of competition, it leaves me a tad let down. Maybe its because i work for a big corporation and i hate bullies but hey. Now I am in the process of building a new rig, mainly for 1080p gaming on a budget and even with the influx of ryzen you would THINK, id be dancing... but Intel's performance for my specific need on the core level leaves me wanting to buy from the devil. *shrug* *disclaimer... TLDR; buy what you want, but hey.. its OK to buy out of "moral" issues."

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Almost Every giant Company will do the same to rampage up their sales... Same with Apple, Samsung or Nvidia... It's not evil, is called the strong survives.. Same in the wild when a lion or a wolf eats the weaker pray.. It's called life..

How right you are...