Windows 10 Startup and Shutdown Confusion

Noah_24

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
So I have recently noticed that when starting up my computer, I am presented with a new bios screen, that I have never seen before; it says "Pres any key to skip disk check". I have had this computer for a year and a half and haven't encountered that screen until now. Anyways, later that night when I was putting my computer to sleep, I had to force shut down, because the computer was staying on, but with nothing displayed on the screen and no clear input from keyboard/mouse available. Then when I start up my computer this morning, I get the same message asking to perform a disk check. I have never done a disk check up until now and my disk is performing just fine as far as I can tell. I have a light on my motherboard that stays lit if there is a disk problem anyways so I don't need some bios check running every startup. I definitely can't have my computer needing to be manual shut down every time I try to put it to sleep either. Can anyone offer any insight on this strangeness, because I have never seen anything like this before.

Solution
I have seen Windows PCs take as long as 15 minutes to shutdown after apparently doing nothing.
You interrupted Windows doing something by "forcing" a shutdown.
Windows needs to check its File System. Do the check.

Noah_24

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

I was putting to sleep, not shutting down (does it matter which one anyways?). You also said that I interrupted Windows doing something with a shutdown, and that I should do the check. Are you saying that I interrupted it going to sleep and should let it check then, or that I interrupted the check on startup bios screen and I should let that play out, or both. Sorry for so many questions, I have just never had this happen before and want to be clear I am doing things right so it doesn't happen again.