Question about NAS

BerZeRK_Z

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
My mother has been in the process of uploading all her pictures, video's, e-books, ... to the DropBox cloud. This drastically reduces my overall internet speed and renders it unusable at times. Because she does this quite often i was thinking about maybe getting a NAS To keep all the files saved.

I thought about just getting her another external hard drive. But a NAS might be a better solution for the entire household.

What i don't know however, and which is the reason i am asking it here is, will the NAS also reduce my internet speeds drastically when files are being copied over?

I also looked arround a bit and found a "WD mycloud EX2 Ultra" NAS. Is this one any good for the pice of 385,00 euros (with 2x 2TB WD red drives included)?

Thank you for any help!

JaredDM

Honorable
It's unlikely that a NAS will affect your internet speeds. Most likely your LAN (local area network) is at least 100Mib speed. Your internet may be as low as only 1Mib speed (could be higher or lower, you'd have to check with your ISP). So when it's moving files across the network it'll have far more bandwidth to work with than your internet connection typically does.

WD Mycloud is OK, but wouldn't be my first recommendation. If you're willing to spend a few extra bucks a Synology will really give you some extras for the investment. I especially like Synology's Cloud Station which is pretty much just like DropBox with all the sync, back versions, sharing links, etc. but is only limited by the size of your NAS hard drive(s).

BerZeRK_Z

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

Thanks for your response. I'll look into some of the Synology NAS's then. :)