24" monitor + 21,5" vs 32" for gaming (1080p)

Farfisa

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hello,
I currently use an Asus VG248qe (24", 144Hz) for gaming and I have a Benq GW2265 plugged in for my music, videos, or for when I'm writing texts and I need multiple windows opened at the same time. I've been considering to buy a widescreen monitor to replace both of the ones I have because I heard it was really nice to game on and it would be perfect for productivity too (more space than a normal 16:9 display). So I made some research and I realized that widescreen 144Hz monitors were really too expensive for me. Today, I happened to notice this monitor:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE8C5YS3678&cm_sp=Homepage_MKPL-_-P1_9SIAE8C5YS3678-_-08032017

My question : Would a 32" 144Hz 16:9 1080p monitor be good to replace my 24" 144Hz and 21.5" 60Hz monitors?
My main concern is that the monitor being 16:9 and only 1080p for 32", the image would be too pixelated.

Thanks a lot

Solution
Personally, I wouldn't replace my two monitor set up with a single 32" 1080p monitor or 29" ultrawide (regardless of money). The larger physical size doesn't give me the resolution space I would need for certain tasks. You mentioned having multiple windows open for certain things; I do likewise. With audio editing I require two windows for Audacity and one for a Word document. Having two monitors just makes working on a project a lot easier.

However, satisfaction is subjective. For gaming, it sounds to me you have a decent monitor as it is; plus it seems you may find a lower refresh rate acceptable for your gaming experience. So the 32" 1080p monitor with lower refresh rate may make sense if you want a larger screen. The 29" ultrawide...
Pixellation will depend on how far you're sitting from the screen. If possible I'd suggest you go to a store and just look at some monitors or TVs of that size and resolution to get a feel for it.

Also, not entirely sure how you intend to use this 32" monitor. As it is, it's only a bigger monitor than your 24". The desktop, icons and everything else will scale in size, but there is no increase to desktop real estate (so to speak). So I'm not seeing how this one monitor will replace your current set up especially when you want multiple windows. (Even more complicated if you intend to game and have multiple windows open.)

Farfisa

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Ok so what I meant is that when i'm gaming, I only use my 24" one and I use both of them when I write texts or when I'm browsing. So if I had an ultrawide, it would be nicer to game on and the screen would be wide enough to split it and have all the windows I need opened at the same time. So the 32" monitor might do the trick but it's not an ultrawide (it's 16:9) and it's only a 1080p. I wanted to know if you thought it would be a noce upgrade or if the image would just be too pixelated. Im at ~1m from the screen.
Thanks!

I don't think pixellation would be a factor when 1m away, though it will depend on the accuracy of your eyesight. (It gets a bit technical as I understand these things having heard an explanation on retina displays.) Still be best if you can see a display of that size and resolution to make an informed judgement though.

As for the 32" to game and have other windows open like you intended for an ultrawide model, there's the added consideration you would need the games you're playing to be capable of windowed mode and still leave you enough space for whatever windows you want open.

I would suggest the following as an experiment though. See if you can run a game you play on the 24" monitor in windowed mode at a resolution close to 1430x804 (the closest standard resolution at the same aspect ratio is 1280x720). This will approximate what the percentage of the screen space you'd have on a 32" display (but bigger). It won't necessarily look good depending how you organise your windows. This should give you an idea of the space available should you make the switch.

Personally I think a dual monitor set up, even with different sized displays, is really good. But I'm a bit biased because that's the display set up I have.

Farfisa

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Sorry I think I wasn't clear enough :
I will NOT have multiple windows opened while gaming. Only when doing other things that do not require to be in full screen. I wanted an ultrawide monitor only for the better gaming experience. So I found this one :
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025342&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

What do you think? Is 75Hz to low considering I'm coming from 144Hz?

Thanks again

Ah... I must have misread. Anyway...

How sensitive are you to frame rates? In truth, it's the inconsistent frame timings which cause issues usually and this will depend on the hardware you have. I assume your PC is capable of producing in excess of the monitor's refresh rate? If it is capable of pushing over 144 fps in your current games, then you won't have to worry about lag for a 75Hz monitor with vsync enabled. I would expect the experience to be very smooth.

Some experts claim that once consistent fps reaches 75 anything above is imperceptible. Some claim they can see the difference. As such, it's a very personal experience which only you can qualify. (I'm on 60Hz and can't tell the difference for higher refresh rates, but that's just me.)

Is your secondary monitor 60Hz? If so I would suggest you use it for one game to see how you feel about the change in refresh rate. (It's a bit of work, but at least you can confirm for yourself with your own eyes. Literally.) If you find it acceptable, then 75Hz will do you fine. If not, then you may want to stick to 144Hz.

As for that monitor you linked, it seems reasonably reviewed.

Farfisa

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

I just tried with 85Hz and it was really smooth so I'll try with 60Hz and see but I think 75Hz will be alright.
Last question : do you think the change is even worth it? Considering that it will cost me around 250$? (I'll sell my two monitors)

Personally, I wouldn't replace my two monitor set up with a single 32" 1080p monitor or 29" ultrawide (regardless of money). The larger physical size doesn't give me the resolution space I would need for certain tasks. You mentioned having multiple windows open for certain things; I do likewise. With audio editing I require two windows for Audacity and one for a Word document. Having two monitors just makes working on a project a lot easier.

However, satisfaction is subjective. For gaming, it sounds to me you have a decent monitor as it is; plus it seems you may find a lower refresh rate acceptable for your gaming experience. So the 32" 1080p monitor with lower refresh rate may make sense if you want a larger screen. The 29" ultrawide would provide a different gaming experience (don't often see ultrawide resolution benchmarks) at an acceptable refresh rate.

The main concern to me, which I think you'd need to consider, is: how much space do you need for your other tasks? It's this aspect which will be affected by the change more, I think. So depending on its importance to you consider weighing up the pros and cons to help your decision. An ultrawide at 1080p gives you a third more space than a standard 1080p monitor.

Solution

Farfisa

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Ok I'll think about it thanks for your time!

TRENDING THREADS