MEMORY_MANAGEMENT: Critical System Config Error, Driver Failure, or HDD damage?

Avillius

Reputable
May 15, 2017
I've been experiencing major issues with my PC for the last month or so, and BSOD errors were frequent. One of the more common errors went by MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I've run multiple memtests, and no issues were found. I recently ran an SFC, and to my surprise, there was a corrupted file that the system file check could not fix. The file in question was System Configuration.lnk, which lead me to the system config. Could this potentially be the cause of the error? Or could it be: a faulty driver (I reinstalled my graphics driver last night), or even HDD damage?

Solution
Ah, the source error... see below

can you right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter

If you are on version 1703, try this:
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if you are on a version prior to 1703, go to here and click 1st link, it will download the upgrade assistant which when run will...

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
I had the same issue with a brand new PC a couple years ago. Later on I swapped the 2 x 4 Gigs of ram with 2 x 8 Gigs and since then it ran without an issue. No BSOD's anymore. I can relate to having 8 or more crashes every day.

You could always run some extra tests on the SSD/HDD and RAM.
Another thing: Look into this app: https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php
Slimdriver is a great free tool that detects outdated firmware/Drivers. After a scan it'll give you the option to update. Maybe some older chipset software is causing the issue.

At least these things are what helped me with this problem. Although I didn't mess around with system files. If nothing workes you could always reinstall Windows, there is an option to reinstall without losing your personal files, if you were concerned about that.

Avillius

Reputable
May 15, 2017

Yeah, but my only issue is, I've run multiple memtests and there were no issues detected. My PC is also over a year old. I've tried swapping out my sticks and putting them in different DIMM slots. I'll still try the extra tests in the link provided.

[EDIT] Upon installing the software from the provided link on the website (Not the one to download.com), my first action was to scan it. However, the application installed SlimCleaner, and blocked access to MBAM. So, I uninstalled everything that has to do with it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You were right to remove the driver updater, many of those can and will install wrong drivers, and can make things worse.

how to fix files sfc can't fix:

open command prompt (Admin)
Copy/paste the below command into window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

DISM cleans the files SFC uses to fix corrupted files, so once it is complete, re run SFC /scannow and see if it helps

As for BSOD, can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here

someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

A lot of the time Memory Management errors can be drivers, and not ram. We shall see what we find.

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Yeah you can uncheck a box in the install to prevent it from installing SlimCleaner. But in my case the software was helpfull. Further more my ram didn't give an error message either in memtest. But it still fixed it. So I think the scanner is flawed..

Avillius

Reputable
May 15, 2017

Alright, I ran the DISM command, and got this error message.
"Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077."

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ah, the source error... see below

can you right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter

If you are on version 1703, try this:
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if you are on a version prior to 1703, go to here and click 1st link, it will download the upgrade assistant which when run will upgrade win 10 to latest version and maybe fix this.

If you on a version after 1703... um, thats insider preview and I don't have an answer for that.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
if upgrade keeps not working, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (maybe on another PC)

once USB created, put it in PC, open file explorer and navigate to the USB, and run setup.exe. It should offer to upgrade current install so let it.

if that still fails to work, you might be best using USB to fresh install win 10. backup everything you want to save and then boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)