System Restore Points Do Not Save Across Reboots

DriftingFable

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I can create a system restore and verify that the restore point exists immediately after, but all restore points vanish once I reboot and I'm left to hang dry. I've allocated at least 20-30GB of Shadow Volume, 1-10GBs for the Page File, and I still have 206 GB of space left on my SSD. This issue only occurs on my Lenovo Y410P as my home built desktop has no problems in this matter(my restore point from July 31st is still present on the desktop and I shutdown regularly); both being up to date and loaded with the Creator's Update.

So I'm left to scratch my head, trying to think of what could be causing the issue on my laptop but not on the desktop.

Solution
Usually in cases like this, your Page File is highly defragmented. You can try running another defrag or delete/recreate the paging file.

It might also be a case of insufficient disk space.

If neither solutions work, honestly, you're better off replacing Windows System Restore with a 3rd party alternative. Freeware like Rollback Rx and Comodo Time Machine work similarly but are much more reliable.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Usually in cases like this, your Page File is highly defragmented. You can try running another defrag or delete/recreate the paging file.

It might also be a case of insufficient disk space.

If neither solutions work, honestly, you're better off replacing Windows System Restore with a 3rd party alternative. Freeware like Rollback Rx and Comodo Time Machine work similarly but are much more reliable.

Solution
Agree wholeheartedly with Luke.

For years I've been disabling System Restore on every PC I've owned - - in no way is it a satisfactory (or even a reliable) method for system recovery - - and certainly not complete system recovery which we all need to be prepared for.

Furthermore, System Recovery is to me a pointless waste of disk space.

I use the disk-imaging method using third-party software, as it also gets you up-and-running again when the HDD fails.

DriftingFable

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Alright, doesn't seem like I'll be getting to the bottom of this mystery short of a full clean install of windows; not even a repair install avails me. But hey, doesn't sound like system restore is really worth the effort.

I'll give Rollback Rx a go as suggested. Thanks!

EDIT: I ultimately did decide to do a full clean re-install and my functionality, for the most part, has returned back to where it should be. I can save and create system restores as expected now without needing third-party software.