What software do you use for malware hunting/tracking/recovering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshRoss

Notable
Jul 11, 2017
I and Mdd1963 had a nice discussion in another topic, about some malware hunting and recovering techniques, but I think it is a lot fitting to have a thread where people can read and post their opinions on such matters, as I am too are interested in potential tools and possibilities! Fire away, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Just to confirm, while I am looking into more advanced and detailed answers on some tools, any opinion is great and you should be encouraged to post here what you use!

Same with me, except my preferred all-in-one solution is Comodo Internet Security, has been for the past 10 years.
Never been infected, hacked or had a browser-hijack. Speaks for itself.

That one piece of security software does it all for me, life's too short and too busy to be analysing malware or having to sort out the mess it's caused.

I've tinkered with lots of tools over the past several years, but, the most common to that I use frequently helping others ditch issues (before reaching frustration, and recommending a format/reinstall) would likely be:

Malwarebytes Antimalware
Malwarebytes Junkware Removal Tool
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
RogueKiller
RKill
UltraVirusKiller
FreeFixer
Autoruns (from MS Technet/ SysInternals)
Process Explorer (SysInternals)--VERY POWERFUL, informative tool!
TDSSKiller
Kaspersky Rescue CD

For a couple of years, I used 360TS, and, it seemed effective, but, I moved on to SecureAPlus, which has worked so well with it's 'block if in doubt, give me the choice'/whitelist approach, that I have stuck with it....

For a firewall, I use Glasswire, which puts all connections/throughput and inbound/outbound connections as little 2 sec popups, and, gives easy plain to read and super easy to block connection/application lists...easy to block if something looks suspicious. Love it...

Occasional MBAM and Defender scans out of boredom or biweekly, whichever comes first...

(Gave up on SuperAntiAPyware a few years back, as it really only found cookies anyway, and is slow to update it's database for new malware for free and paid versions...)

Status
Not open for further replies.